tranny probs

drillin001

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
ok i drove the truck to work today first time since i bought it, on the way there i had no issues. on the way back a few things happened first i put the truck in the drive postition and the tranny wouldn't shift out of first on it own i had to drop it down from drive into second for the tranny to shift. once i got on the main road up to speed of 40 or so the overdrive light on the shifter started to blink and the check engine light came on. this went on for about 2 miles until i got on the throttle a little the lights shut off.
\
is there some plugs i should check on the tranny? , for loose connections. also i got the mechanic to hook his code reader up, but the computer on the truck wouldn't let the scanner read anything, the scanner kept saying check connections, any ideas on what would cause that? well i hope you guys can give me some help with this its my first ford. thanx in advance

BigStroker

Demented College Student.
Reaction score
Sounds like your TQ converter is shot. When the OD light starts blinking something is wrong with the tranny.

Check the fluid to see if its burnt. Does the tranny make any squealing noises?

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
drillin001 said:
...loose connections. also i got the mechanic to hook his code reader up, but the computer on the truck wouldn't let the scanner read anything, the scanner kept saying check connections, any ideas on what would cause that?

Follow the scanner port up behind glove box. Check for a poor/weak/bad ground connection.

drillin001

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
the tranny fluid looks fine not color wise and its right at level, the guy i bought it from said he had a new tranny put in two years ago by a local shop but he never gave me any paper work on it. i probably check at the shop see if they have any records on that truck. i haven't noticed any squealing some times it bucks alittle like its shifting up, and down right away.

drillin001

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
hheynow said:
Follow the scanner port up behind glove box. Check for a poor/weak/bad ground connection.

i followed the wires up and they go into another wiring harness that connect to a black box, i didn't see any grounds. i not going to rip into the wiring harness without some kind of manual and wiring shcematics

action4478

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is This an intermittant problem? I have the same truck & I had the same problem, It turned out to be the wires to the speed sensor on the rear axle.One of the wires was broken but you couldn't tell by looking at it. I had to feel for a soft spot in the wire. It would come & go with the road conditions.Bumps would make the wires swing back & forth

drillin001

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
yes the check engine light comes on and the overdrive light blinks for like 5 minutes give or take. then the light shuts off. sometimes it feels like the truck shut down the motors running at idle but i can't rev it the truck just coasts, that last for a 3-4 seconds. when the lights are on it does effect the way the truck is driving it shifts fine the overdrive can be turned on or off. kind of strange. thanx for the tip that sound more possible than the "TQ beong shot"

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
Sounds electrical to me too, tho double check the fluid level. Wierd things have happened to people when the speed sensor or it's wiring have problems. Also if the Electrical switch thingy where the shift cable connects to the tranny is loose or bad, or dirty connector, odd events may occur.

The cigarette light fuse will cause no power to the OBD port. Some chips seem to interfere with code reading too.

action4478

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also , The speed sensor itself could be the problem. I've seen where rust builds up on the mtg surface under the sensor throws off the spacing , & also shavings from the gears sometimes ends up on the sensor.

drillin001

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
well the OBD port has power to it as well as the cig lighters. i haven't checked the sensor yet probably tomorrow if its now raining. is there a sim sensor to over ride that one?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58