Tranny Question

viper5035

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
ok i bought my truck with 114k miles on it and was told as part of the check that fluids were changed if needed now i don't know what the requirements are for the tranny but when i gelled up the other day :rant(see other thread for that discussion) i was told that my x-fer cased needs fluid changed and that my Trans fluid was black and the service guys at Woodhouse ford recommended against changing it i currently have about 147k mi on her now. I was getting ready to take it in to get the tranny flushed and fluid changed but now i don't know what to do.:dunno:dunno someone help me out here on their experiences and hopefully some of the ford techs will chime in

viper5035

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
that was my original thought too but they said if i change it it could cause the trans to fail from sediment getting stirred up and crap like that I done know what to do.

TurboTy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this can be a damned if you do, damned if you dont thing.....with the miles you have and the condition of the fluid it could cause an issue when you change it, the new fluid wont have any of the "particles"...."consistency" that your old fluid has and the trans/converter is used too...then again you could change it and be mint with no problems, i'd prob change it myself then see what happens, at your mileage it prob wouldnt hurt for a rebuild anyways...just hopefully you get to do it by choice, not because you have too...good luck!

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
change fluid and filter like speeder said.

sediment is an excuse dealers use for trannies blowing up after they flush it so it doesnt look like it was thier fault. im sure that once every blue moon some piece of debris gets "stirred up" and goes somewhere it shouldnt....but running burnt fluid isnt going to keep your tranny together so its a risk i take every 30k miles or so.

its a transmission, not a river bed. the tranny has a filter that catches "sediment" also has a magnet on the pan to catch the iron "sediment"

Toptech

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
that was my original thought too but they said if i change it it could cause the trans to fail from sediment getting stirred up and crap like that I done know what to do.

This could happen, but look at it this way. If you don't change the fluid, the trans will definitely go out eventually. The old fluid is just going to cause more damage the longer it is in the trans.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score

im sorry but this is TOTAL crap...theyd rather replace the trans
than flush it...cause they make more money on the labor & parts
to replace a broken tranny !

the factory suggests MINIMUM periodic maintain...you should
follow the maint. schedule

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score

Check out the article in the SDD Technical WIKI. (4R100 Transmission Fluid Flush)

I would go this route because your torque converter lacks a drain plug. Beside it works well.:D

dmd

Reaction score
Do not flush it, but DO change the fluid.

Use the method noted above, do not let them use a machine to do
a "power flush"...

You might just want to do a partial change and see what happens. Drop the pan and change the filter, then just refill. It will have some of
the old in still, but in much better shape than before. Next oil change
just drain and refill the trans too.

Last edited:

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok im curious why you (dmd) wouldnt
flush it or "power flush" the tranny.

in my experiance the power flush
doesnt do anything different than
the proceedure in the superdutydiesel wiki.

for all intensive purposes its a push pull
fluid exchange.

more than 2/3 of a trannies fluid is
in the converter (not in the pan)...

certainly no one would recommend changin
1/3rds of their engine oil...

heres another "driveway tranny flush" w/ some
photos, the tranny is a LITTLE different but the
proceedure is the same....measure the fluid coming
outta the tranny and put back the same amount !

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14