tranny swap?

drillin001

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
has anybody on here tackled a auto to manual tranny swap on these trucks. besides the labor and getting parts off a donor truck, what sort of problem could i run into with the electronics? pcm?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I think you will be alright going from an Auto to a Manual tranny. It is the other way that causes electrical problems. The clutch pedal is something you will need all of the bits. Find a donor truck is the best bet. Change out all of the plastic parts with new. '

Dave

97powerstroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whats your reasoning for switching,i have a manual and i think i would rather have a auto trans,why do you think there better.maybe i would like it better if i had good synchros.

MBRPCrazyford

Eat Some Smoke
Reaction score
I've been thinkin about doin this. One main reason is that I tow around 10k a lot, and through town. the only thing is that I plow and that would be a pain in the butt.

drillin001

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
well my last truck was a standard, and i loved it. but the mpgs sucked (gasser) among some issues with it. so i found this truck for pretty cheap and figured i try and auto. its not that great it has some sensor wiring harness issues and causes the tranny to have fit. electronic diagnosing is not my thing and paying some one else is not going to happen. i'm still researching the swap and maybe better off ditching this truck for another one.

jetflyr

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done this? Is it $$? I believe my '97 AOD has issues with possible slipping, torque converter, etc... I have often thought of trading it out. Tranny shop did not recommend due to harnesses and what not. I think it marries up to the engine fine. It would be a matter of shift in floor, clutch pedal, and removing column stick and junk, I think? I was raised on manuals and would like to go back whether towing, city or highway driving.

Big K

SDD.com Hacker/Admin
Reaction score
Has anyone done this? Is it $$? I believe my '97 AOD has issues with possible slipping, torque converter, etc... I have often thought of trading it out. Tranny shop did not recommend due to harnesses and what not. I think it marries up to the engine fine. It would be a matter of shift in floor, clutch pedal, and removing column stick and junk, I think? I was raised on manuals and would like to go back whether towing, city or highway driving.

The 97 doesn't have a AOD transmission, it has a E40D trans.

Get you a good working Auto and it will run miles around the Manual's :sweet

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simmons Inaya