Tranny upgrade

SDEric

Here's my pride!
Reaction score
I was looking around and I am trying to beef up my tranny with out spending too much. I already know that the Sonnax tri valve, is a good start. I am looking around to get my tranny flushed, and replcing with Amsoil.
Besides those basics, are there any other parts I should look at. especially on a tight budget.

Thanks
Eric :thumbs

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
replace the torque converter.

If you cant afford the 3800 bucks for a BTS tranny, then I would go with either the sonnax/tri springs, or replace the entire ValveBody. Greg Evans does a number on the Factory Tech valve bodies, and I guess BTS is doing valve bodies now, and selling them thru Hypermax (who charges an overpriced 450 bucks for it too!).

But definately change the TC. Its the weak link on our 4R100's. If you wait until AFTER its blown, you'll HAVE to rebuild the entire tranny.

Amsoil, or Mobil-1 synthetic, of BTS has been pushing Shaeffers pretty hard lately. Just make sure it says Dexron-III/Mercon.

!!DO NOT USE MERCON V, or dual rated Mercon/Mercon-V rated oils!!

SDEric

Here's my pride!
Reaction score
Thanks FF,
I also admire you site, check your PM

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Daryl said more than I can add, spend the dough on a GOOD torque converter, consider modifications to the valve and accumulator bodies, several options there with the FTVB, Transgo Tugger kit or Sonnax.......... get a trans temp guage installed and evaluate your operating temps, consider a good synthetic fluid and let the coal roll!!!!!!!!!

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There *ARE* other parts inside the tranny that can fail, but a good TC, and some form of valvebody or the tugger kit, and some good synthetic, and I've read you should be good into the low/mid 300hp mark before needing to really tear into the tranny.

I figure, if you can AFFORD 400hp, then you can AFFORD a $3800 BTS tranny.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Agreed Daryl,

You can twist the input shaft or tail shaft, smoke the clutches etc etc etc..... It doesnt sound like Eric is heading into that 400 hp land anytime soon here.

Eric, do us a favor and fill out a signature line so we know what you are driving, what mods you may have done or might be planning in the near future.

pappy19

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
You don't need to spend $4,000 until your tranny goes south. In the mean time add a second tranny cooler($150), drop the tranny pan and change out the filter , drain the TC, while doing that, add the Transgo shift kit($150), then fill with a good synthetic tranny fluid($100). Change out the fluid every 25k and under most circumstances, you should be good to go for a while.

chaddiesel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
what torque converter would be the most affordable on the market? what does the transgo shift kit have in it also?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58