Tranny Upgrades

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
I was just wondering if any of you guys have upgraded your stock tranny....is this even possible without replacing it??? if so what kinda money are we talking to do so??

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
go to brianstruckshop.com and check his site out. from what i have been told, he can build an awesome tranny, and yes you can beef up your stock tranny.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
i upgraded my stocker with the ats pump upgrade, and torque converter. after i get more power mods i plan on doing the valve body upgrade and larger input shaft. however for the present, i am quite satisfied with the performance just with the TC and pump upgrade, excellent while towing, and 2 MPG increase in under 45mph driving conditions. (thats when the tc is unlocked)
just a small disclaimer....the pump upgrade should be done by a confident mech. that has experience in tranny teardown, and some carburetor drills (really small, i forget exactly what sizes) will be needed.

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
i upgraded my stocker with the ats pump upgrade, and torque converter. after i get more power mods i plan on doing the valve body upgrade and larger input shaft. however for the present, i am quite satisfied with the performance just with the TC and pump upgrade, excellent while towing, and 2 MPG increase in under 45mph driving conditions. (thats when the tc is unlocked)
just a small disclaimer....the pump upgrade should be done by a confident mech. that has experience in tranny teardown, and some carburetor drills (really small, i forget exactly what sizes) will be needed.

so your saying this is not something i can do in the shop at home?......i really don't wanna send the tranny off....and i don't know anyone close to home that i trust to mess with it....is there even an upgrade that i can do at home? for under 1000 bucks??? or am i just dreaming:confused:

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
Get yourself a Trans Go Tugger kit. Around a hundred bucks or so. Follow the instructions and have fun.:D You can do the valve body mods without removing the tranny. The pump mods require the tranny to be removed. Use the whole kit you will be happy. :thumbs

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
Get yourself a Trans Go Tugger kit. Around a hundred bucks or so. Follow the instructions and have fun.:D You can do the valve body mods without removing the tranny. The pump mods require the tranny to be removed. Use the whole kit you will be happy. :thumbs

this sounds good...i may look into that...thanx

Southern4x4

The Redneck Limo
Reaction score
Brian's Truck Shop offers a valve body upgrade - firms up the shifts. Cost $225 plus shipping and refundable core. It's easy to install and makes a big difference. It took about about 2 hours from start to finish.

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
Brian's Truck Shop offers a valve body upgrade - firms up the shifts. Cost $225 plus shipping and refundable core. It's easy to install and makes a big difference. It took about about 2 hours from start to finish.

Sweet...Sweet that sounds a lot like what im lookin for....now i see i have a few options...thanks

kbaxter

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Looks like I posted this in the wrong place to start with. There's a lot more action happening here.

What are the reactions to those that have put in the Transgo Tugger kit? It seems that some of these mod's aren't with the diesel in mind. i.e.: the "pull-in" for 1st, it will drop into first anywhere below 39 mph. That sure sounds like a problem to me, anyone else? I assume that many have also done the pump mod to go along with this so the lockup is no longer a PWM (pulse width modulation) control to force the converter to stay locked, when it's supposed to be locked.

Are there any variations to this kit that are more appropriate to the diesel world, are my concerns something to not worry about?

How many have done their own installation of this kit? I am pretty handy and will tackle alomost any project, but I understand that one misplaced or lost ball and it'll never be the same again.

What are everyones thoughts on this topic. A different tranny kit altogether?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg