Question Tranny

RogerR

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have an 02 srw 7.3 with the 4R100 tranny, my problem is when I try to back up with it warmed up, I have to go to park first before I go to reverse or the engine dies. I have been told that the overdrive solenoid is bad. It also will die at traffic lights if it is hot outside, 90 or above. Anyone else had this problem?
Any ideas? How hard and expensive to repair? Thanks.RogerR

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
You are probably looking at a rebuild. You have a couple options. Fully built BTS will probably be the general response. If your truck is going to remain at or close to stock power levels a rebuild by a good local shop will do. If you go with a local shop, insist that they use a quality torque converter (Precision Industries Stallion comes to mind) and a good shift kit will firm up the shifts. The transgo tugger kit is pretty popular. I would say you will probably pay between $3K to $4500.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like Sagebel said you may need a full rebuild and I like BTS my self because he stands behind what he does. Your about 840 miles from his shop in Arkansas.
Brians Truck Shop
It would be a nice drive, but if you called him today it would be 4 to 6 weeks before he could get to you. That's how good he is.
Doug

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
The tranny is leaking internally. The torque converter is trying to lock up. Low pressure and or internal leaks will cause this.

Time for a rebuild.;tu

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58