Trans Cooler Question

BWard

Auctioneer
Reaction score
My 2001 F-350 is sitting up on a rack at the local Ford dealer. I purchased a tranny from BTS, hopefully it will be here tomorrow. The trans is out on the floor and next to it is my new 6.0 liter cooler.
The service manager stated to me that the trans that was in my truck did not have an outside cooler??? He said that it had an inner cooler.
Is that right?? :dunno
Also can someone tell me where to have the new 6.0 liter cooler mounted??

Thanks to all.
I am new to this but slowly learning:sweet

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Hmmm, I'm an OBS guy but I thought the SD's had only an external cooler mounted infront of the radiator? The 94-97 trucks used both a cooler internal to the engine radiator and a small external fin and tube cooler.

At any rate, you want to mount the cooler infront of the radiator.

Fire1

Certified Diesel Driver
Reaction score
My 2001 has both an external fluid to air cooler and a radiator mounted fluid to water cooler. Yours should also. At some point earlier, 99 I believe, they only had a fluid to air w/o a radiator mounted also.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
That is a typical Ford Employee response. They don't know anything about our trucks, and statements like that just make me mad.-mad -mad -mad -mad

Dave:cussing:

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
BWard said:
The service manager stated to me that the trans that was in my truck did not have an outside cooler??? He said that it had an inner cooler.

If it's a 7.3 Superduty and has an auto tranny, it has an external or outside cooler. PERIOD!!!!!

The early 99's had an outside cooler only. Later on, that cooler was supplemented with a "in-radiator" cooler.

Pull up the rubber flap that goes along the top in front of the radiator. (The hood latch sticks up through it) With a flashlight look down in there, you can see the tranny cooler in question as well as the intercooler. The smaller existing cooler is removed and replaced by the larger 6.0 cooler. It should mount right in, but some fabrication or modification may need to be done for the cooler lines because of the taller 6.0 cooler.

I would show that existing cooler to the service manager and tell him he needs to retake Basic Truck Stuff 101. Hopefully the guy turning the wrenches is smarter than he is.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but I get agitated very quickly when folks that rip you off to the tune of $100 an hour and they can't be more knowledgable or competent than that.

Last edited:

lifted_up

TractorMan
Reaction score
I have a 2000 4x4 and it is an cooler only(no radiatoir cooling). the 6.0 cooler bolted right in and just took the extra plumbing you (bWard) PM'd me about. These dealers make me sick -mad not knowing their product and all its variations. Careful what you 'pay' for.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14