trans died

MUDWHISTLE

Diesel Lover
Reaction score
well I have a big problem now, I was getting on the freeway and this morning and in third gear when I loud bang and it popped out of third gear. I tried to put it back it nad it wouldn't stay. so I stopped and tried to back up on the off ramp and it moved a couple feet and finished off whatever was left. any ideas. got bout 220k on the trans and a pretty healthy cummins12valve i front of it.

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
sounds like the tranny is toast.im gonna suggest you go over to www,oilburners.net and check out the market place as i believe thee are a few 5 speeds on there right now and i think 1 might be somewhere close to you.dont forget you can also use one for an f450/FSUPERDUTY

oh and they hav a forum just for mixed breed trucks as well

MUDWHISTLE

Diesel Lover
Reaction score
well I drained the oil and opened the pto cover and looked in and it was cempletley clean, no metal at all not even a shaving. so must not be something in the trans after all. anybody suppose I tore the center outta the clutch? anybody ever snap a input shaft? was gonna pull it out today but got called into work. if soething broke inside the trans would I have seen some small amount of debris?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The diagnosis is not that easy. There are a LOT of parts that can go south without leaving metal shavings in the pan. You already guesses at the clutch. I very much doubt that you could tear the center out, but you can blow up the clutch pack(s) and that would STOP you in your tracks. You need to get it diagnosed by someone who knows trannies.

Dave

MUDWHISTLE

Diesel Lover
Reaction score
Yeah I was going to pull it out but got called into work. I will just take it out and then I think I will find what it is. I have worked on the 5 speeds before and the old four speeds so I know a little but if I have a book I can figure it out. I let you all know what I find. thanks Lee

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I am sorry Mudwhistle, I thought you were referring to an Automatic Tranny. My screw up!!! Yes tear into it.

Dave

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
if no dbri inside the tranny then its likely you just smoked the clutch or snapped the input.i have a zf here with a snapped input but it also lost reverse and one of the forward gears(forgot wich one)but it also took out the pto, and pto gears.i think the hydraulic pump or the pto itself locked up and took out the tranny.i have tore into a zf before.i took i good one with a cracked bell housing and swapped the guts into a good case.but the guys in the idi section of oilburners have ripped them apart a few times and can be of more help than me.but feel free to PM anytime if you need some help or have a question as i dont check this section of SDD that often.

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
is that truck 4wd?another thing to check is the transfer case if it is.i have a bronco here now that wont move at all in 2HI or 4HI but is fine in 4LOW.it needs a transfer case.somebody else told the kid it needs a tranny but cuz im not a tranny shop the kid wont listen to me and is looking for a tranny for it.i told him ill put a tranny in it but when i get done and it still dont move i want my money and then when i put the transfer case in like i said it needed i want my money. :D

MUDWHISTLE

Diesel Lover
Reaction score
Well the verdict is in and the clutch is the culprit, I ripped the center loose. So I need a clutch that will hold 1000 plus foot pounds of torque while towing, I'm not there yet but it won't be long. southbend, Luk, Centerforce. I would like to hear some opinions and see what everybody uses and likes please. thanks Lee

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
best bet is to visit the PSD forums as i seen you already have :sweet sorry not much help on that as mine is an automatic (im lazy :D:tounge)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58