Trans leak

Brad B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any tips or suggestions when replacing the trans cooler line (s) ? 96 F250 bleeding trans fluid from one of the cooling lines as I just pulled in. Does anyone know if I will need to drain the whole system when I replace the line?

Looks like I have a project for the week now !

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
Are you going to replace both cooler lines? The 1/4 metal lines from trans to cooler? Or do some of my redneck enginering and patch with rubber hose for now?

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
The line is probably cracked, just pull it and replace it. You'll lose some trans fluid out of the radiator, just refill and go. Unless its time for a tranny fluid change, there is no reason to drain the system.

Brad B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thout about just patching it but I got to looking at it and it seems like a rather simple fix. So I will probably just replace it. I just had a the trans serviced last week so I was curious how much fluid I should expect to have to catch or if I should just drain the whole system.

Thanks, 95 stroker, it has a small pin hole on the top of one of the lines and it's making a mess of things ! Have to wait until the rain stops today before I tackle it....no bueno not having a garage to work in !!!

Brad B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok tried the patch thing...not working. Maybe because the hole is right on a bend and can't get a good clamp on it. Dealership says that part has been discontinued.

Any sources on getting a new line ??

Brad B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know where I could order a new line? I just need the metal part not the whole run. Been trying several "patches" but nothing will hold. Surely someone has one in a parts bin somewhere. I don't see how Ford can just stop making something like that. What the hell does the dealership do for parts like that !!!

(getting reall tired of messing with this !!)

97 CREWCAB

OBS RULES!
Reaction score
You could replace the lines with Braded hose (Aeroquip) and an fittings or you could get some steel line and bend it to fit the stock bends. Where you are patching the existing line, you need to flare the ends of the steel line so the hose wont slip off. Be sure to use trans rated line and if room allows, you can double clamp the ends

Brad B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips guys. I hadn't thought about going with the braided hoses, that's a good idea since it would allow me to route the line away from the down pipe and keep it cooler.

I have it stopped for now with a piece of rubber fuel line and two clamps. It was kinda tough since the hole was on top right in a bend. Now I have a slow leak coming from the base of the dipstick tube where it enters the pan. That doesn't look very easy to get to so I may have to live with a slow drip for awhile !

And apparently your Autozones are better than mine, once I could get someone to wait on me, they were of no help and pretty much looked at me like my labrador does.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14