Trans line Mod???

forddeerediesel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I was reading in a 4X4 MAG of a guy in Cali that found a 'quick warm up' passage in the line on the right side of the trand. It looks like the line is only about 2' long. Anyway the article said that he takes and solders the passage shut, the thought being that with it closed off the oil cannot bypass the cooler, it has to go through it. Has anyone heard of this or done it??? Does it work well??? I appreciate the responces:)

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i guess ill respond...what your saying isnt exactly clear (to me) and
it could be my own fault/interp. but it doesnt necessarily make sense.

on the 6.0/torque shift (which is 'bout all i know) there is a thermostat
in the cooler...until the trans temp reaches a certain temp the trans fluid
is BLOCKED from circulating thru the cooler...why anyone would
by pass this thermostat is not clear to me...warming up is understood
but at the same time you dont wanna cool the fluid below optimal
operating temperature.

forddeerediesel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My wife says that I am a bad explainer. From what I understand, there must not be a thermostat in the early 99. But the way he explained it was that it was a continous flow past the cooler, to warm up the oil quicker and the problem beeing that when hauling, the oil will get hot and not flow enough volume through the cooler for it to do it's job. I honestly do know for sure. Makes some sence to me, other than in the winter months. I do a lot of heavy hauling, and I have seen some 200-250:eek: temps. I know that is high, but city hauling is hell. I check the oil to see if it smells burnt, and change it regularly, just don't have the money for a 6.0 cooler yet.

Thanks for the responce.:thanks

SMOKNZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anything over 180 and my tranny starts puking fluid. I added a tru-cool cooler and it works much better than stock, still pukes after back up the trailer and have no air flowing thru the cooler. Seems to like the highway best.

Bill

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14