Trans Temp 170+

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The other day the wife and I were drivin home, going down the freeway at about 70 mph not towing anything. I looked over at the gauges to see my Trans temp at 170+. I was coming to the exit and stopped the truck and got out to see if maybe some was covering the trans cooler. There was nothing covering it. Drove alittle further and the temp started going back down. I checked under the truck when I got home to make sure that the trans wires were not touching anything hot. But before that we were sitting in the drive-thru and DQ for a good while. Do ya'll think that could have caused the temp to rise like that or is there something else that I should start checkin on. I am getting ready to do a tran pan drop with filter and fluid change. Any recommends on the best type of fluid? Thanks. :thanks :thanks

One other thing what do ya'll think of this product for trans upgrades? http://www.bullydog.com/detailimage.php?imagename=151000.jpg

Last edited:

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the truck sitting idling the transmission temp shouldn't go up, if anything they should go down. 170* is warm but it is nothing to really worry about. I use amsoil synthetic ATF and have never had any problems. Since you are dropping the pan it might be a good time to consider an aftermarket pan. I have one on mine along with the stock cooler and an aftermarket cooler w/fan and rarely see temps over 125* even when it's 90* outside. Cheers!

Maintain

Platinum Edition
Reaction score
Well you live in texas... and 80-100 * over ambient is about normal.

Bigger tranny cooler is the BEST thing you can do...

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I am looking into a aftermarket trans pan right now.

White Buffalo

TDP Pit crew
Reaction score
I recommend what BTS uses. Schaeffer's synthetic Trans fluid. (www.schaefferoil.com).

As far as the tranny temps are concerned. What was the outside air temp when you noticed the temp spike? Did you notice the the temp rising while the truck was idling?

The portion of the radiator that the tranny coolant runs through has gotten clogged once on me and was causing high tranny temps. Not sure if this is your situation. Give us some more details on the situation.

Sleeper Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
about the bullydog shift kit. i had it installed in my old transmission with a 4 bank 6 position bully dog chip with a tranny tune on it. with the chip and the shift kit the trnsmission shifted pretty hard, would not recommend it with a performance chip or tuner unless you can leave the shifting to stock. the trnsmission lasted less than 5,000 miles untill the trnsmission seal where the transfer case is blew out and needed a new tranny. i has a new/used tranny installed a week later with 55,00 miles on it and it shifts fine with just the chip.

as for the tranny temps my temp usually is 100 degrees over ambient

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ambient temp outside was about 90'. I noticed it driving down the road when I was getting ready to exit. I was running it pretty hard down the freeway though. Had a couple of other gas vehicles trying to keep up. Have run it the same and have not had any more temps like that.

White Buffalo

TDP Pit crew
Reaction score
Since the OAT was 90 you seem to be right on target. When travelling at 70 mph I ussually see tranny temps about 70 degrees above OAT, but when I run 80-90 the additional power innevitably causes more heat so I see OAT + 90 or 100 degrees.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58