Trans temp..am I screwed?

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My buddy borrowed the truck to tow his car on the trailer. He told me that he noticed it shifted funny and saw that the temp was 200+. He pulled over and let it cool down to 200, then finished the 5 minute drive home. He then hopped on the interstate and drove back to where I was and told me all this. I'm sure when he got on the interstate, it dropped back down and when I got it, the temps were 170-180. Now...1st and 2nd gear flareup after about 2k rpms and want to hold the gear to redline unless I blip it and let off, it will then shift (trans temps 150-165). Once the converter locks up all is good. I smelled the trans fluid, it only has a slight smell of non-normal, so it shouldn't be that bad.
I'm going to let it sit for a few hours and go back out because I have to drive to class.
Am I screwed and have burnt/glazed bands or do I just have deteriorated fluid and need a flush?
Thanks,
Jesse

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would change the oil on the tranny and hope that it works better after doing that. If not then I would thank about a road trip to Lead Hill, AR
Brians Truck Shop

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
First thing is drop the pan and get the fluid out, see if there is any shrapnel in the bottom of the pan. If there is determine what it is, clutch material or torque converter carnage. If the pan is clean (so to speak, some sludge is to be expected and your magnet should look like a wolly worm has taken up residence on it) then you might be luck, if you feel handy drop the valve body and clean it, you might have a vavle or two that got gummed up from excessive heat and that could be causing your shift flare. If its not that then the TC is slipping and that is where the excessive heat came from in the first place.

The TC was the weak link in the 4R100 with the valve body being a close second, the clutch packs are pretty good under stock to mildly modified engines so I wouldnt expect troubles there.

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As soon as the TC locks up, it's solid...it's the actual gear that slips. If I get on it about 1/2ish throttle, it will pull fine until about 2k and then I can start to feel it slipping. I have an aftermarket TC. All other gears are fine, I think it's just 1st gear.
Jesse

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
As soon as the TC locks up, it's solid...it's the actual gear that slips. If I get on it about 1/2ish throttle, it will pull fine until about 2k and then I can start to feel it slipping. I have an aftermarket TC. All other gears are fine, I think it's just 1st gear.
Jesse

Follow what Mr 95_stoker said in his post.;tu See if this fixes tranny. If not there could be damage to the intermediate clutch.

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He flushed the fluid and it came out a purplish color. Added a quart of the Lucas stuff and it is still doing it. He said that it seems as if 1st or 2nd gear is just holding for too long...until you let off the gas (sticking valvebody?) How would I go about checking/fixing/inspecting a vb? Which "valve" is it and how do I find it and fix it?
Jesse

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Verified it...just is wanting to hold the gear a tad too long (like a manual)...absolutely no slipping in the gears.
Jesse

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14