Trans temp ok?

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ambient temp was 100 and the road temp had to be 10-15 above that. I was cruising dry at about 80 mph and my trans temp was ~178, that seem ok? I have a big Tru-Cool cooler and a new tc and am curious if I should look into a secondary cooler possibly with a fan. On the same drive later in the evening after the sun went down, temps dropped to about 155. If the temps are that high on flat ground, I'm kind of scared to put a trailer behind it.
Thanks,
Jesse

BigDaveZJ

uber noob
Reaction score
Where's your temp sensor at? Pan or test port? Mine's in the test port and I usually run right about what you were empty, got up to just below 210 yesterday pulling 7k up some good inclines. I heard somewhere that the test port usually runs 30* higher than the pan, but have been unable to confirm that.

BigDaveZJ

uber noob
Reaction score
So I was able to find where I saw that the test port is 30* higher than pan temp, it was in the instruction manual that came with my gauges. It said if it gets close to 220* (can't remember if it's talking pan or test port here and I'm not going back out to the garage right now to find out) to pull over and let 'er cool off.

Vindicator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Orion are you running regular Mercon ATF? i noticed a 15-20 deg. drop in temps when I changed my valve body and refilled with Mobil 1 synthetic ATF. that was 35-40k miles ago...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14