Trans temp question.

FULL FORCE

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I just put my trans temp gauge in, what is "normal" so far all I got it up to was 150 is that normal for no load? what is the hottest that is safe?

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I rarely see temps over 125* however I run an aftermarket pan, an additional cooler w/fan and the stock cooler. 150* is normal for a stock setup. My transmission builder told me to keep mine under 180* so I use that as my "hot" guideline. I believe the factory transmission gauge starts to move at about 190*

aklim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say 80 above ambient is where I like to see it unless I am hauling something really heavy

White Buffalo

TDP Pit crew
Reaction score
I ussually see 70-80 degree above outside air temp (OAT) with no load, around town or city driving it can get a bit more since the torque converter is not locked and generating more heat. Towining my 5'er (10,000 lbs) is another issue - since I put the bigger tranny cooler on I see about 180-200 during the summer months towing in Southwestern OK.

If she gets up to 225 it would be a good idea to pull over, let the truck idle and cool down some. I think 235-238 is the magic number to stay away from.

CSIPSD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
225-235 is about the limit for any kind of time. If you start to creap up that way going over a pass or such thats fine so long as they start back down...

FULL FORCE

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I had it up to 205 ish yesterday, no higher, I was towing a car, i have a bigger cooler I can add, is it worth the effort?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg