Question Transfer Case Lubrication

KFord

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first post so go easy on me here guys. I was reading in some of the prior posts that the front transfer case and the tranny share a common sump. I am about to change fluids in the front transfer case for the first time and was wondering if you use SP( I know it is required) in the tranny and RP in the X-fer case, if they share a common sump, don't they get mixed? Did I read right?

I have changed my own oil, fuel filters and transmission fluids and filters since I purchased my truck by this will be my first attempt to drain and change the transfer case fluids and I don't want to screw up.

Any advice is welcomed and my last name is Ford.

Potentialbuyer

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Your transmission and transfer case do not share a common sump. Therefore you can put any lubricant in either component without having to worry about them mixing together. I believe that the latest bulletin from Ford says that you can use the newer ATF in the Transfer case too.

MJ Synthetics

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Potentialbuyer is Correct!

Mercon SP rated fluids are what your looking for. If wanting to go synthetics let me know I can save you some cash on that.

KFord

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Tanks to both of you for keeping me straight. It pay's I guess to not believe everything you read.

KFord

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14