Transfer case not engaging with dash switch

Sportsnutim

Sportsnutim
Reaction score
First my truck is a 01 4x4 F-250. I have been meaning to change my hubs with a Warn hub system because the originals will not turn. I have always been able to turn my switch and four wheel high/low "were" able to work until last night. I needed to use it to lube the transfer case, it had been awhile. When I turned to high it sounded like it engaged but did not, then tried low did not work either. I am hoping changing the hubs will fix the problem, never had any problems before. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
while in 2x4, crawl under and try to turn the front driveshaft by hand. if it turns freely you need to get those hubs to lock. i like the warn manual replacements for the auto hubs.

after you check that: with the hubs free, put it in 4x4 and the shaft should be locked. i bet your problem is with those hubs though, they fail quite often.

Sportsnutim

Sportsnutim
Reaction score
while in 2x4, crawl under and try to turn the front driveshaft by hand. if it turns freely you need to get those hubs to lock. i like the warn manual replacements for the auto hubs.

after you check that: with the hubs free, put it in 4x4 and the shaft should be locked. i bet your problem is with those hubs though, they fail quite often.

Thanks, give it a try. Had the passenger side replaced a few months after I bought the truck, not impressed with originals. Pretty much junk.

IHC Power

STOCK STROKE
Reaction score
Hubs

For the time being you can tare the stock ones apart and grease the snot out of them, Another thing were you moving cause my 2001 will not engage into high unless the hubs are in the lock position and not auto. You might have vacuum issues also, they operate on vacuum inside the knuckle. $$ seals or maybe a vacuum pump. Good luck

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
You should be abel to manually lock the hubs. If everything is working correctly, you can then use the switch to engage the transfer case. If you have a vacume leak your AC vents will default to defrost only and you should here the vacume pump constantly running. Like Zookie said, check the transfer case first by engaging and disengaging 4x4 and trying to rotate the front drive shaft by hand.

Sportsnutim

Sportsnutim
Reaction score
Ya, would love to but...

the manual switches are so stinking hard to turn (assuming not lubing or vacuum problem) actually they are pretty much impossible to turn unless a wrench is used, which may break them. I need to replace with Warn hubs, will check to make sure the transfer axle turns in 2x4 then 4x4. Will check with vacuum gage also. No AC leaks that I know of gage will be more accurate of course.

Last edited:

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
Give Northridge 4x4 a call, he should be able to take care of you locally. I think I have my old ones still here at the house. I'll take a look. They were working when I took them off to install the Solid Axle Free Spyn kit. I will send them to you for the cost of shipping.

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
I do have my old Auto/Manual hubs if you want them. I have also heard that soaking the hubs in ATF or diesel will free them up.

Sportsnutim

Sportsnutim
Reaction score
Sure, if that's not a problem

I have a feeling I also need to replace my fuel gage, its been giving me fits for about a year now; works when it wants to. Tim

drmjf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would definitely change the hubs. I went with dynatrac-free spin hubs. No more bearing problems and warn hubs. :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58