Transfer Tanks

Nasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 25Gal Tank in the bed of my truck. its only 5 In thick and it is a drop tank. I read somewhere that a drop transfer is proper way to be legal. Well I use 2 lines connected in the filler neck. one 3/8 Tube from the tank and a shut off valve and the other is run up to the top of the Aux. tank. This makes the Aux tank an extension of the truck tank. I will put a valve under my seat to be able to open the transfer on the fly. This way the top tank can drain to the bottom tank and the bottom tank can vent to the top of the aux tank. I have found that this is the only way to do this and be sure of proper transfer. After all the bottom tank has to be vented and this way the air goes up while the fuel goes down.

Just be sure on 05 and newer that you plumb a vent line to the popit on the top of your main tank or you will have a leaking problem sooner than later.

FTG-05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So on these gravity feed systems, you just leave the petcock open at all times and let the transfer tank flow into the main tank?

Pardon my ignorence (sp?) but won't that fill the tank all the way to the cap of the stock filler neck?

Because of this, I am assuming you never use the stock filler again. You just fill the transfer tank?

In order:

- No, I don't generally leave mine open all the time. I did it once just after I installed my 90 gallon RDS/NT aux tank and I threw a code after 200 miles. The 'puter wants to see the gas gauge move by 200 miles or it sees the sensor as being bad.

- The RDS/NT gravity feed kit comes with a check valve that won't let the aux tank fill the OEM tank above the feed kit check valve, that is, a couple inches below OEM tank max fill.

- I don't use my stock filler anymore. All of my fuel goes through the aux tank, through a 3 micron water separator fuel filter, then into the main tank.

A writeup I did on my RDS/NT aux tank install:

http://www.rocketcityrockcrawlers.c...talling an Aux Fuel Tank paper 2007-06-18.pdf

Hope this helps.

Al

caissiel

Laurent
Reaction score
I am in the process of installing my aux. tank in my 05 ford and this water filter arrangement sure is a good idea. Is the filter of 3 micro to fine and will it restrict the transfer?

FTG-05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of installing my aux. tank in my 05 ford and this water filter arrangement sure is a good idea. Is the filter of 3 micro to fine and will it restrict the transfer?

For me it does when the aux fuel tank has only 10-15 gallons or so. Small price to pay for the 3 micron WS filter, IMO.

In the event I need that last 15 gallons, I carry a Super/Safety Siphon, but I've never needed it.

Thanks,

Al

mwalls54

Tex
Reaction score
my buddy put the 60 gallon from NT and he has had his for a couple of years. he first put it in his 2002 and he found out that his stock tank was deformed around the sending unit. it leaked from day one from the factory and he didn't know it. so he had to replace the stock tank and then put in the aux tank. last year he transfered the tank to his 06 an he hasn't had a problem yet. he is going on about 60k miles with the tank in about a year. his has a fuel guage on the cap i think.

rustinh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm going to head up to Northern tool this weekend most likely and pick up their 37 gallon tank. It's small enough to fit under my box and looks like it should work pretty well. I'm probably going to spend the dough and go the KSH Marine install kit with the switch though to avoid the CEL and having to get out and flip the valve to fill the OEM tank from the in bed tank.

Thanks again,
Rusty

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg