transfercase ?

beau2301

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if a superduty trasfercase will bolt up to a ZF 5spd or E40D? I'm going to do a cummins conversion and I'm looking at every possible variation of swaps. Also, I was wondering where the superduty gets It's speedo input, is it the transfercase or the rear diff, or both, I'm guessing theres no speedo cable, just sensors. Any help is greatly appreciated

ponyexpress94

Diesel Power Junkie
Reaction score
Fords typically have their Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS as labeled in Wiring Diagrams and Service Manuals) mounted on the tailshaft housing of the transmission in 2 wheel drive vehicles and the tailshaft housing of the transfer case on 4 wheel drive vehicles.

The sensor located on top of the rear axle differential housing is for the ABS and uses the rear axle ring gear as the tone ring for sensing lockup of the rear wheels during braking.

What model year is the truck you plan to convert to a Cummins diesel?

Hope this helps.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Not to disagree with you ponyexpress95, but I can't find the VSS sensor on the transmission, in my Ford DVD. There are a bunch of speed sensors that have to do with things like the Turbine shaft speed sensor. There is an Output Shaft Speed Sensor, but is seems to have to do with the shift scheduling and torque converter clutch and the PCM and EPC (Electronic Pressure Control). No mention of going the the instrument cluster.

Dave

ponyexpress94

Diesel Power Junkie
Reaction score
Dave, yeah it's quite possible it is tied in with another sensor since the 99 up trucks all have electronic speedometers and odometers. I am about 99% sure that sensor on the rear axle is only for ABS, but this wouldn't be the first or last time I'd be wrong.

I'm sort of guessing right now...my shop manuals are at home and I'm on the tugboat so I don't have any reference to see what you are seeing on your DVD.

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
The VSS on the rear axle reads the speed and ABS. Turbine speed sensor and Out shaft speed sensor are for the tranny. Output shaft speed sensor is the one located at the rear of the tranny. Or the transfer case adaptor for 4X4.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I know WHERE it is located, but is the Output shaft speed sensor the one used for the speedometer? I always thought the one on the pumpkin was used for the speedometer. Your guidance is most appreciated!

Dave

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
I know WHERE it is located, but is the Output shaft speed sensor the one used for the speedometer? I always thought the one on the pumpkin was used for the speedometer. Your guidance is most appreciated!

Dave

You right. The speedometer get its signal from the rear end. The output shaft speed sensor is used for the tranny.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14