Transmission Filtration from DieselSite

Roadie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Transmission By-Pass Filtration from DieselSite

What do you experienced heads say about Transmission bypass filtration. I just stumbled on this at Diesel Site. I mean, I'm thinking it can't hurt, but should I lay my hard earned dollars down for this now? Or something else I should do first? Right now on order and will be done first are: New oil/filter and bypass, new coolant-thermostat and filtration, new fuel filters, new tranny fluid and filters, and fuel reg kit.

Last edited:

tankerdude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your trucks tranny already has filtration.... a "filter" inside the pan, and a second one mounted up front on the passenger side just behind the radiator. The one up front is about the size of the cardboard tube left over from a roll of toilet paper. When you buy the new filter, it looks like a small roll of toilet paper too.

Make damn sure the proper fluid is put back into that tranny. IMHO, the best way to ensure the tranny is done properly is to take it to the dealer and let them do the service. You could put the filters in yourself, and about 5 or 6 quarts of fluid, but that's only what's in the pan. The rest of the tranny has 7 or 8 more quarts in it.

Trust me. Take it to the dealer and let them flush the whole thing out. I stood there and watched them do mine. The process flushes out all the old fluid and replaces it with new. I could see with my own eyes that there was NO WAY I could've gotten all the old fluid out without some serious work. For about $150 (I think, filters, fluid, labor) it's well worth the money.

Roadie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah you are right...I meant By-pass filtration. I'll mod the question now so I don't confuse anyone. I just bought the set of filters and tranny oil to swap out. If the advice from you guys is I can't get a solid baseline tranny oil change by myself, guess I'll be bringing the oil and filter to dealer to change.

Roadie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is how to do the same complete flush yourself from the Wiki.

TikiWiki : 4R100 Transmission Fluid Flush

Sweet! I have a couple questions from the wiki about the below excerpt:

"5: This is where the second person comes in handy. One person starts the engine, while the other holds the line over the drain bucket.
A clothes pin can replace the person holding the line in the bucket.

a: Run the engine until you see some air in the clear tubing. As soon as you see air shut off the engine.
b: While the engine is running in step 5a above, move the shifter through each position from P to 1, pausing about 5 seconds at each position. This will change some fluid that would otherwise be trapped in the valve body, accumulators, and clutches."

QUESTIONS:
1. What is meant by "see air"
2. The other question I just answered in my mind but typing from iPhone and too hard to change construct of this thread from iPhone :)

Last edited:

tankerdude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet! I have a couple questions from the wiki about the below excerpt:

"5: This is where the second person comes in handy. One person starts the engine, while the other holds the line over the drain bucket.
A clothes pin can replace the person holding the line in the bucket.

a: Run the engine until you see some air in the clear tubing. As soon as you see air shut off the engine.
b: While the engine is running in step 5a above, move the shifter through each position from P to 1, pausing about 5 seconds at each position. This will change some fluid that would otherwise be trapped in the valve body, accumulators, and clutches."

QUESTIONS:
1. What is meant by "see air"
2. The other question I just answered in my mind but typing from iPhone and too hard to change construct of this thread from iPhone :)

What they're talking about is this:

When you start the engine, that starts the tranny pumping fluid towards the front of the truck so that the fluid can be filtered by the canister filter, then into the radiator to dissipate some of the heat, then out of the radiator and back to the tranny. In the previous step you've disconnected the return line from the tranny, clamped some clear tubing over the line, and are ready to catch the old fluid in a bucket.

I've never seen air in my life, but when you start seeing air, you must've been smoking some weird stuff. :lmao

Seriously, when the engine starts, fluid will begin to flow through the clear tubing. Run through the gears at this point, cuz once you see the air (think "bubbles"), it's too late.

Just make dang sure the vehicle will not be moving when you run through the gears. Especially if you have someone under the truck "helping".

If I'd written the instructions, I would've put (b.) in place of (a.)... it's kinda im-por-tant.

Last edited:

tankerdude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TankerDude, thx! got it! So need to order more fluid...I only bought 9 quarts.

That tranny should take in the neighborhood of 15-17 quarts.

Make SURE it's the right type of fluid. I flushed mine a few weeks ago and the granny that was at the parts counter of my dealership sold me the wrong fluid.
I'll take my share of the blame, cuz i didn't check the type in the owners manual until AFTER I discovered I'd put in WAY too much.

On edit: After the discovery of too much of the WRONG type of fluid. I happened to be only a few blocks from the dealer. Friday afternoon (the service area is closed Sat. and Sun.) at 5 min. to 5 pm (they close at 5 pm) I pulled in.
Took a little static from the service manager ("It's 5 o'clock on Friday and these guys want to go home").
And gave some back: "Look Gary, I'm not just some guy in off the street that wants you to do something just because I was too lazy to get over here at a more reasonable time. I'm the guy that comes in and buys ALL the parts from YOU when I need something. I'm the guy that is in here every time the truck needs an oil change. I'm the guy that's purchased three trucks from this dealership. NOW, I'm the guy with his truck sitting in your service area with transmission fluid leaking out of it.... the wrong type of fluid leaking out of it, at that."

With a huff, he goes and asks the kid that does the oil changes, tranny flushes, etc. to stay over and do this.

So, to wind it up, the tranny was completely flushed of the wrong fluid, and the correct stuff put in it's place.

All at their expense.

Sometimes ya gotta twist their arm a little.....

Live and learn.

Last edited:

tankerdude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mercon SP right?

Don't get me to lyin'....

I thought SP was the correct fluid for my ride... after the problems I experienced, I would look in the owners manual and see what it says.

I would also suggest you verify the proper type of fluid with more than one source..... Autozone, various Ford dealers, etc.

Using the wrong fluid can be disastrous due to the different properties engineered into each fluid.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14