Transmission fluid and longevity

JSPulliam21

Uva Uvam Vivendo Vari Fit
Reaction score
I will be changing the tranny fluid in my dad's 02 350 CC 4x4 DRW soon. We have installed a 6.0 cooler and changed the standard Dexron III/Mercon every 30k miles since he bought it. We are considering going with the Amsoil Universal ATF, as he has Amsoil in the diffs and transfer case and is happy with it. Amsoil claims you can go 100k on a fluid change which would offset the higher cost, hassle of changing out 3 times the dino oil, and he would have the best protection there is. I want to hear from you guys that have run Amsoil in a stock transmission for a long period of time. I am concerned about the stock components with the "universal" dual rated Mercon/Mercon V fluid. So, let's hear about your Amsoil ATF experience, good or bad/-popcorn

pete37922

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ill be changin my 6spd tranny fluid over 2 Amsoil at 50k miles...have 48k now !!!

JSPulliam21

Reaction score
Perhaps I should re-state my question.
I will be changing the fluid in my dad's 2002 PSD auto 4x4 CC dually soon, and he is asking about synthetic transmission fluid. We have always used dino Dexron III/Mercon because the owner's manual states to only use that fluid and NOT MERCON V OR DUAL RATED FLUIDS. I have also heard of people trashing the clutches in the tranny from using Mercon V. Now, my question is: Is it OK to use Amsoil Universal ATF or Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF even though they are both dual rated Mercon/Mercon V fluids? Has anyone been running either of these in a stock tranny for an extended period of time? Thanks guys!

JSPulliam21

Reaction score
I did not see a Mercon only fluid listed on Amsoil's site. And the Mobil Mercon fluid is not synthetic. Only Mobil 1 is synthetic. The reason we want to use the synthetic is for it's heat resistance and longer drain intervals. Otherwise we would continue to use dino fluid.

drmjf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it OK to use Amsoil Universal ATF or Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF even though they are both dual rated Mercon/Mercon V fluids? Has anyone been running either of these in a stock tranny for an extended period of time? Thanks guys!

I have been running amsoil universal atf for about 2 years now. It was the recommended fluid by the trans rebuilder that I bought my new tranny from. Works great so far
Mike
:thumbs

Ken1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have over 213K on my "X" with AMSOIL ATF.
When the "X" was @ 100K I had the oil sampled and ATF was still good for continued use. When I reached 150K I decided to change the ATF with another new batch of AMSOIL ATF.
My goal is over 300K on original drive-train

Ken

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
Longevity is related to lack of heat.

FluidChart.jpg

I run Redline synthetic ATF in mine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members