Transmission fluid flush pays

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I am in Kansas right now but heading home tomorrow. Taking of Thrusday, Friday so may do the service those days. Thanks for the heads up. How often do ya'll change your tranny fluid?
I believe the maintenance schedule is every 25k miles but could be wrong. For the price of some transmission fluid,a filter and a couple hours time is far far less than the price of a transmission anyday;tu

I'll probably make it a spring time maintenance practice regardless of miles logged.

J_F250

SDD Burger Flipper
Reaction score
So is it ok to use Mercon V or not? I saw a TSB on this saying that Mercon V is OK to use.

MidwestOffroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
best way to flush the fluid is to get some clear tubing and connect to the cooler lines.. start engine pump out 6 qts and shut off engine. add 6qts , start engine pump out 6 qts . and so on till you use 20 qts. (you only need 18 but with 20 you will be sure to flush most off it and got it all out of the converter and trans cooler..

and for the pan and filter FORD says 300k on it..no need to change it..

MattM

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
For the transmission flush, are you saying to completely drain the transmission fluid by running the truck draining 6 quarts at a time, then drop pan, install new filter, clean magnet/pan - install pan, and then fill transmission with new fluid?

I went to Wiki and the procedure does not come up when I click on the link for the 7.3 transmission flush???

Last edited:

MidwestOffroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
drop pan and replace filter first if you choose to.

then fill.

connect hose and start and run engine till the 6 0r whatever you choose measured amount pumps out.

fill with that measured amount

and repeat till you used up your 18qts of fluid.

BIG DUTY

F-250 Care Taker
Reaction score
I bought my truck with 160,000mi two years ago, It now has 186,000mi. I am not sure when the trans fluid was last flushed. Is is a good idea to flush the trans and filter on a trans with this many miles. I have always heard that it can cause more problems. I may just change the filter and and drain the fluid without doing a flush. Any thoughts on this?

JRJ04

Reaction score
ive got close to 30k on the fluid in mine (royal purple synthetic). Everything is fine, but there have been 2 times recently where I was 4 wheeling pretty hard in some deep sand and the temp ran up to about 205*. Should I change it or can you push it longer with synthetic?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14