Transmission Fluid in Fuel

Jimmy T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A guy that drives a big rig told me to dump a quart of transmission fluid before filling my tank with fuel. Has anybody ever heard of this? He said it helps with injectors.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
wives tell for the modern engine.
dont waste the fluid

ATF is very high in detergents. plus its terrible for the earth as it burns

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Yeah, Ive heard of it before though you wont catch me doing it. I know the IDI crowd will do it, suppose to help with lubricity. But at a quart per fill up I can run Stanadyne or PowerService cheaper.

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, the ATF will stain your fuel and fuel system red, so if you should get your tank dipped, it'll show up like you're using offroad diesel for on-road use. :eek:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The red dye is the reason that I don't use it, other than it is a waste of oil and time. Stanadyne is better.

Dave

Worknman

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Seafoam

I had a guy at work just the other day he had a problem with his cummings on the freeway he said that it was like it was dumping two cylinders. He put some stuff called seafoam (not sure of the spelling) in he tank and that seamed to stop the problem and the bottle said to do this every 5000 miles he said price was 5.00, Iam only going by what I was told maybe someone else knows about this for future use.:sweet

Black_Mamba

I'm a Window Licker!!
Reaction score
Seafoam is very good in 2 stroke and 4 stroke gas. I also use it to clean the carbs on the 2 strokes I work on at work. As for the Trans fluid I still use it today to prime the fuel system on all my ag equipment and the old 7.3L IDI.

Invader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Atf works as a lubricant for the injectors. The old injectors, fine, do it. The new ones are expensive and don't stand much abuse. Use a fuel additive designed for it. Don't take the chance.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14