Transmission HELP!

foxrider241

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
1999 F-250 SuperDuty 7.3 Powerstroke, Reg. Cab long bed, 148,000 miles
So lately the past couple of day's have been hell. Besides the fact I had knee surgery from a motocross accident, physical therapy 3 times a week for 2 1/2 hours a day, destroyed cell phone by dropping into bucket of transmission fluid, and of course girl friend problems, I have come to figure out my 4R100 is toast.
I decided to drain the fluid from the torque converter, and the transmission itself, the fluid smelled beyond burnt and discolored. The magnet at the bottom of the pan had so much metal shavings and not too sure what the hell else was on it. Looking up into the transmission ever part of it was covered in a thick black film with tiny metal particles. After cleaning everything I could and replaced the old filter with a new Wix filter, I added new fluid and also Lucas stop slip additive.
Started up the truck let it warm up a little bit and ran it through the gears. Went out on a drive and the truck shutters like all hell “did this before working on it” between 35-50 mph. Pulled back into the garage and the fluid was perfect on the stick but of course it smelled like **** and had a lot of grime on it. With nothing on my agenda I proceeded to mix a nice glass of Jack and Coke, some Copenhagen and dropped the pan… Again
With not even driving more than 30 miles the fluid, magnet, up in the transmission all looked the exact same as when I did it before. When I was looking to buy I wanted a manual transmission but I had found this truck at a family owned dealership and was at a great price plus they were giving me much more than I had imagined for my trade-in so I couldn’t pass It up. Well my options consist of both dropping the tranny and rebuilding if possible or if not replace, or install a ZF-5. I talked to a couple local shops and they had said that if I decided to place a ZF-6 up in there I would have to do something with my transfer case? Forgot what they had said but it was along the lines of replacing it with a different one.
So anything is possible but I’m not planning on dumping a lot of money into a auto to manual switch. Any words of wisdom besides quitting drinking and chewing tobacco? I’d love to have a manual Trans in my truck but I do not have much experience with Ford’s drivetrain…
Thanks a lot ya’ll and any advice is much appreciated!

mp18d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Flush it!!

No, not the whole tranny, just the fluid. :sly Just what ya need rite now is a wise ass, huh??

Anyhow, mine was shuddering while accelerating with one of the stock trailers, so I went to the Wiki deal here and figured out how to flush the whole trans and torque converter. Took about 30 mins and 2 Pepsi's.
Made all the difference in the world. It is the only way to get all the old fluid and crap out.
I changed over to a synthetic fluid, Valvoline IIRC....
If you do this procedure and get fluid coming outta the side of the tranny, it means your cooler bypass is plugged. You can buy one of the replacements from a vendor here, Dieselsite I think.

Like I said, my trans w/165000 works like a charm. (Now I hope I didnt jinx myself....)

Good luck.
Mike

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
flush the tranny, and HOPEFULLY it will fix your issue. usually if you catch it in the beginning everything comes back to normal after the flush.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Any words of wisdom besides quitting drinking and chewing tobacco?

"...People ask me, John, why do you drink? Why do you chew Cope?..."
That's my song, Dude..

anyway...
yeah, flush the transmission. If you're LUCKY, you caught it before it took the big poopie and you just have so much crap in there it's gone into every nook & crannie and I'm bettin' you have quite a bit in the trans cooler..

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
As far as swapping in a ZF-6, you'll have to pretty much replace the whole damn truck anyway, so why not just trade it ina on a truck with a manual if that's what you want.

Nah, if it were me, I'd flush it and see if that helps, and if not, have it built up stout and proper (the way Ford should have in the first damn place) and put your auto back in it. From the looking into it I've done on a swap, in these Ford's it just ain't that easy.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14