Question Transmission noise

Prefaber125

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I have a 2016 f250 diesel with automatic transmission, at times when shiftting from park to reverse or drive i hear a clunking sound. Im on level ground w foot on the brake... any ideas on what it might be? The truck has 40 k miles. Thank you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

79jasper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would start with checking ujoints.
Set the parking brake, then put the truck in neutral. Then get under the truck and turn the driveshaft back and forth while listening and looking at the ujoints.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A little clunking is to be expected, IMO. But being a 016 with only 40K.. take it back to the Dealer for a Warranty Look See.

Or....Release the weather boot on the front of the D-shaft. Mark (index) and drop the rear dif U-joint. pull the D-shaft back and off.. Check the Carrier bearing for any play.. Clean and re-grease the splines* on it's tail shaft. Re-assemble, lining up the D-shaft using the (index) marks, and give all the U-joints 2 shots of grease.

* I'm a fan of the Marine grade (Blue) Grease. Yer Call ?

elliotthere

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I have a 2016 f250 diesel with automatic transmission, at times when shiftting from park to reverse or drive i hear a clunking sound. Im on level ground w foot on the brake... any ideas on what it might be? The truck has 40 k miles. Thank you

A little clunking is to be expected, IMO. But being a 016 with only 40K.. take it back to the Dealer for a Warranty Look See.

Or....Release the weather boot on the front of the D-shaft. Mark (index) and drop the rear dif U-joint. pull the D-shaft back and off.. Check the Carrier bearing for any play.. Clean and re-grease the splines* on it's tail shaft. Re-assemble, lining up the D-shaft using the (index) marks, and give all the U-joints 2 shots of grease.

* I'm a fan of the Marine grade (Blue) Grease. Yer Call ?
Hello all,

Is this truck two or 4 wheel drive elliotthere

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58