Transmission running hot 230° when loaded

aldo_45030

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Notice trans running hot last time i towed the fiver. ran apprx 230° after 3 hours of towing in 30° weather outside. I am wondering how to test and were to find the trans cooler bypass valve. I am wondering if it is sticking, the trans did not belch out any fluid. I plan on flushing and upgrading the cooler if there are any suggestions i am listening. The trans did not seem to be slipping and is already on its 2nd rebuild @ 86K showing.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pull the output line off of the transmission cooler and measure the flow delivered spec is minimum of 1/2 quart in 30 seconds

Tru-cool 4590 is a rather popular option that does well as does the 6.0L cooler from the later model super duty trucks.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
7.3's came from the factory with an undersized tranny cooler. This cooler for some reason, was even smaller than that on the V-8 or V-10 that had the same tranny. Prior to the advent of the 6.0, a popular upgrade was to remove the smaller 7.3 tranny cooler and install a larger gas engine one. When the 6.0 came out, the tranny cooler was enlarged even more. Then 7.3 folks began installing 6.0 tranny coolers for improved tranny cooling.

I installed a larger tranny cooler prior to the 6.0 coming out. I installed a gas engine tranny cooler and installed an auxillary cooler at the same time. The combination of the two has kept tranny temps in check quite well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14