Transmission Shift Delay?

Metalhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been noticing that my truck will sometimes have a delay from when I shift from R to D, to when the transmission actually engages. It seems to happen after I've driven the truck for awhile, then going again after I've had it parked. Mainly when I back out of the driveway and go from R to D. After I've got it in D, I'll give it some throttle expecting to be in gear, and it feels like being in neutral, then thud, the transmission engages and I'm on my way. I think I felt the same kind of thing once when the truck was shifting between 1st and 2nd. My fluid level is good and has good color. Anyone got any advice for me on this?

Metalhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if the shift lever on the side of the transmission could be at fault. Maybe the simplest solution is the issue. I sure hope so.

This is a very seldom issue with this truck. The other 99% of the time, this thing runs clear as a bell

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Change out your tranny oil. Use only Mercon SP oil. The tranny needs to have the fluid changed every 60,000 miles. Slow shifting can happen. I took mine to the dealer for the right fluid and their flush for about $165.00.

Dave

Metalhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds like a plan to me. I'm not sure if this fluid was changed at 60,000 or not, but that's good insurance to know it was done. I'll make sure I get the Mercon SP, thanks for the advice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14