Help Needed Transmission starting to go???

Powerstrokebloke

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have an 05 Super Duty here in Australia, which has the 4R100 and the 7.3 motor.

Everything was brilliant with the truck untill I installed the edge evoloution. I am wrapped with the performance it has given me, but am now starting to experience some weird transmission woes.
When truck is cold, transmission is great, as it has been for the past 60 000 miles it has on it. When the box gets warm it slams from first into second, even turning the tires with WOT applications, but shifts very soggy from 2-3, even taking a second or 2 to complete the shift.

Any thoughts, or things I should do?

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Have you tried returning the truck to stock and seeing what it does? Might be a programming issue.

A 05' SuperDuty with a 7.3 :sweet I still think that is so cool. Wish we had trucks like that here. I want a 08' with a 7.3 :D

Powerstrokebloke

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yes mate, I have done that, it could all be coincidental, but stock, programmed, it makes no difference.
I was going to try flush the transmission, see if that makes any difference this weekend, it just seems to be when it gets warm.
Its not as bad at light throttle openings, even go as far as to say its not there.
I tow 7700lb mostly.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes more than likely it is starting to go. You have a couple options: patch the transmission and hope that it solves the problem or rebuild the whole thing. Either way you need a transmission temp gauge & larger cooler if you don't already have one.

Patch the transmission:
Transgo Tugger kit (or custom valve body)
New torque converter.

All out build on the transmission.
This is where it gets a bit fuzzy since you are in Australia you don't have the builders and options we have here in the states. There are inherent problems with the 4R100 when you start adding power. With a built transmission you may want to steer away from the edge and get a chip that can be programmed for the better valve body setup. The edge knocks up the line pressure electronically which works but a properly built valve body does it also in a more controlled manner when the two are combined it can produce very harsh shifts.

The parts to build the transmission are heavy so shipping will be expensive but there are companies here in the US that sell transmission rebuild kits in a box that can be shipped to you. If you're not comfortable doing the work yourself then you can take it to a transmission shop. Some of the parts vendors might be willing to tell you what you need to request of your local transmission shop to get a good reliable transmission that will last longer than the 60k you have on the stock one.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
bjs has good advice, i would just add that you should flush it asap, it might temporarily fix the shifting, and buy you a few more miles until more serious action is required. that will get you some time to save money and decide what cool parts to use.

Diezel Dawg

vvv Real NW Truck
Reaction score
i would definitely flush it if it has never been done, u should reall flush those every 35-45,000 miles. might save it the transmission for awhile, but u will definitely need to look to do something later down the road.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Flush warning:

I have seen (happend to me) that changing the fluid was the last straw on the transmission.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Powerstrokebloke, I would definitely flush too, but be ready for the rebuild.
I would also look at putting a frame mounted trans. filter on the line going back to the trans. from the trans. cooler it's cheeper to replace then the trans. and it will help pick up the trash before it get to the trans.

Powerstrokebloke

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, thanks for the tips, and now bad gut feeling that my wallet is about to get smoked.....:dunno:doh:

Its 8am here, I will get up to the workshop and do a full flush today and see what comes of that, and will post back here later today to let you all know.;tu

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58