Transmission Temperature

TXblue

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if on a 1999 SD 7.3 with Auto transmission, you can monitor the transmission temerature without any modifications or sensors added, just using something like the Scangauge II plugged into the computer monitor connector/diagnostic port?

Last edited:

Big K

SDD.com Hacker/Admin
Reaction score
TXblue,

Not that I know of or have seen, but easy way is to use the screw in sensor in the TEST PORT on the side of the Transmission, it seems to work good ;)

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if on a 1999 SD 7.3 with Auto transmission, you can monitor the transmission temerature without any modifications or sensors added, just using something like the Scangauge II plugged into the computer monitor connector/diagnostic port?

IIRC, there is no provision for an OBD II trans temp monitor...

JRJ04

Reaction score
with a sensor screwed into the test port, how many degrees above ambient should you be seeing?

aklim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, with say a 6.0 cooler you should be seeing about 70 deg above ambient if you run it with some DP-tuner tunes.

Big K

SDD.com Hacker/Admin
Reaction score
You sure? With the stock tune on my BTS and a 6.0 cooler, I was doing 60 degrees. With a stock trans, I was doing no more than 70-75 on a hot day.

Yeap, 100* over is very normal and shouldn't worry anyone.

But that doesn't mean you won't see LESS ;) :sweet

JRJ04

Reaction score
i had to do some searching to find this thread...but I have another question

This past weekend in Houston it got up to about 90*. going down the freeway i was running my normal 160*, but then came into traffic. I know the temp will climb when sitting still and in drive, but mine got up to near 190*. Is this anything to worry about? At what temp should I begin to worry about causing damage to my tranny? I was running unloaded.

Big K

SDD.com Hacker/Admin
Reaction score
i had to do some searching to find this thread...but I have another question

This past weekend in Houston it got up to about 90*. going down the freeway i was running my normal 160*, but then came into traffic. I know the temp will climb when sitting still and in drive, but mine got up to near 190*. Is this anything to worry about? At what temp should I begin to worry about causing damage to my tranny? I was running unloaded.

100* over ambient is normal :sweet

So 190* is nothing to worry about!

Probably much north of 220* and then I would start to worry ;tu

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svttim