Transmsission dead

Silver6.0

Drinkin Diesel
Reaction score
Get damn near to Illinois from Wyoming and truck loses power heading up slight grades. I'd step it down to make it downshift and rpms would rise but speed never changed. Stopped and checked fluid, its on the cold mark and still a good red color. Let sit for a few hours and tried again only to have a top speed of 22mph till the engine finally quit and would not start anymore. Tow truck guy said it was -40 degrees F at 10 this morning, I pulled the fuel filter out under the hood and its not froze, I gotta believe my trans is bad, have a friend bringing a trailer from michigan

atk

Reaction score
what about the other fuel filter along the frame rail. i would think having a trans go, shouldn`t keep it from starting....are you sure the fuel didn`t gel?

Silver6.0

Drinkin Diesel
Reaction score
didnt pull it but id think if one was gelled the other one would be after the truck has sat all day if it was watered fuel

atk

Reaction score
the fuel filter along the frame rail(HFCM) is where the fuel/water seperater is, so it is possible to be froze up down there. this is just a thought.....

have you added anything to the fuel(anti-gel)?

Silver6.0

Drinkin Diesel
Reaction score
i just went out and pulled the filter on the frame and no sign of gel there either, the last fuel up before this happened i added half bottle of total power fuel additive, and i added some diesel service while ive been at the hotel, they didnt have the 911 diesel service just the additive so... the batteries are dead now so im waitin on the trailer

Silver6.0

Drinkin Diesel
Reaction score
no I could not tell, is like gas pick ups where you can stick a hose in the tank and listen through the hose?

Silver6.0

Drinkin Diesel
Reaction score
i didnt listen down there but when cycling the glow plugs everything sounded normal, i'll have to wait till tomoro morning to check deeper into it just need to get it home first

Silver6.0

Drinkin Diesel
Reaction score
Took the truck home and dropped the trailer in my dads heated barn, put the battery charger on it for about 30 minutes and the truck fired right up. I drove it off the trailer and down the road up to 70 mph and no lack of power what so ever so im like hmmm wtf? One thing we thought might have happened is I dont have a winter front so -40 with the wind chill wasnt helping anything, and my trans cooler is wide out in the open due to my aftemarket bumper.The next morning my friend and former boss who runs the local international dealer came over with the scanner and read the codes, there were 3 inactive codes -
1) FICM (Fuel Injection Control Module)
2) Cyl #3 not contributing , which is part of #1
3) Low boost

I have a warranty still so I drove it 30 miles to the dealer, still no problems on the way lol. They get to it on wednesday and the service writer calls and says the FICM needs changed and my turbo needs to be cleaned because of my bigger exhaust I put on it, estimate is $1700, I told him call the warranty people. He calls back and says they will cover the FICM but not the trubo cleaning and thats gonna cost around $500 parts and labor. I tell him to do the warranty repairs only and he asks why I dont want the turbo cleaned. I say because I can do the turbo myself, I used to work for international and have done quite a few plus the turbo doesnt need it yet anyway. He didnt like it but they changed the FICM and I drove it back to wyoming with no hiccups.

Back to the turbo, the rubber boot from the charge air cooler had a slice in which is probably why the low boost code was there, but still the code was inactive. When a truck would come in for turbo cleaning there was always the same symptoms- no power what so ever, I mean barely dragging itself in the shop, and there was always active codes for VGT (variable geometry turbo). And the larger exhaust only helped the turbo not hurt it, one of the biggest problems with vanes sticking is back pressure, so I dont know how a free flowing exhaust is gonna hurt.

Anyway I got the o-rings and gaskets for the turbo clean when it comes time for it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14