Trany

mjfco

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I am new to the Diesel world and have may questions. I have just bought a 1995 F350 Crew Cab,the (Auto) transmission is shifting hard, I looked for a shift kit mod but didn't see any on the truck thinking that was why it was hard shifting, I would think the trany would be slipping if it was going bad, anyway the truck dose have some mods looks like there was a new turbo put on it and it dose have a 3.5 exaust all the way through, dose anyone have any idea's??? if it is not the trany how would one know if there was a trany mod on this truck???? The OD light dose not flicker or go off and on during the hard shifting, it seems to go through all the gears. I bought this truck from a dealer so much for info.

:thanks

Thanks

MUDWHISTLE

Diesel Lover
Reaction score
Wonder if it has a programmer in it that would enhance the shifting? can you contact the revious owner?

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site :)

Depending on how hard it's shifting it may have already been upgraded with a shift kit as most shift kits will make the shifts much quicker and therefore feel firmer and to the extreme of giving you neckjerking shifts.

How the transmission is operates is influenced by the computer program as mudwhistle mentioned.

The first thing I would do is to pull the emergency brake pedal off (3- 13mm nuts) pull that off and look @ the back of the PCM and see if you have a chip. or if there is evidence that one has been installed. With a transgo kit in my transmission I have very firm, almost too firm, shifts when running without the chip but with the chip in they are comfortable.
This picture will show you what you will see behind the brake pedal bracket, and my chip is installed in that picture.

a5kickpanel.jpg

If there was never a chip installed then you should see a dust cover like the one in this picture.

5endcap_removed.jpg

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
I'll bet he has a transgo-tugger (pump mod) kit in it. Mine is like BJs, it shifts hard if my chip is in the go-slow mode, but in the performance settings it shifts easier.

psdan000

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
my truck was just the opposite. always shifted hard until i put a chip in it. still shifts hard everyonce in awhile but not like it did. wonder what your PCM code is? mine was NAW4 and i heard that code does have some hard shifting. the code is printed on the dust cover on the PCM shown above

mjfco

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
BJS

I looked and the dust shield is on so there is no chip in it, should I get a chip for it?where and what kind would I get? :dunno The shifting will jerk you back depending on how heavy the right foot is.:eek: there is a very short shift from the last gear to over drive.:dunno The shifting dose not bother me much I can live with it.:thanks

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right now I'm testing a chip from Performance Injection Systems & I've run a TS generic programmed chip.

Chips require guages at a minimum and super highly recommended is exhaust and free flowing intake. 3.5" exhaust is standard from the cat back however factory exhaust is not mandrel bent when passing over the rear axle which dramatically reduces the flow. As long as the downpipe has been replaced with a round downpipe instead of the flat one from the factory your exhaust is just fine for anything with stock injectors and is actually what I'm running with my BDP Stage 1 injectors.

As far as chip mfg's there are plenty of good programmers out there who will be able to offer you plenty of options for what you want. DP Tuner & TWildman are the two that come to mind first. You can contact them directly or get chips through BDP (Beans Diesel Performance).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14