Question Tricks to change the Water pump?

Spectre

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Truck specs.
2001 F250 4wd 7.3 single altenator

Well the truck started squealing pretty good. I thought it was just a belt and wasn't to concered about it.. Wel one day I jump under the hood and look at where the fan bolts to the water pump and the pulley there looks like it's moving around pretty good. That and I saw some antifreeze on the ground that had dripped off the lower radiator hose.

So I'm thinking it was the bearing in the pump and now it's finally decided to leak out the weep hole. I'm going to change the pump today and was wondering if there were any tips or tricks anyone has for doing this. Or are the directions in the Chilton good enough to do this?

Thanks all!

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
These are the instructions I used to change the pump on my 96'. I think all 7.3 engines are about the same as far as water pumps go so this should get you started. Others may chime in with the differences if any. Not a tough job.

1. Partially drain the engine cooling system.
2. Remove the upper radiator hose clamps and upper radiator hose.
3. Disconnect the radiator coolant recovery reservoir hose at radiator.
4. Remove the fan and clutch assembly using the Fan Clutch Nut Wrench and Fan Clutch Pulley Holder. Set the fan and clutch assembly in the fan shroud. I rented my fan clutch tools from AutoZone for $40.
5. Remove the fan shroud screws. (2 ea.)
6. Remove the fan shroud, fan and clutch assembly. I lifted the shroud up some and pulled the fan and clutch assembly out first then removed the shroud.
7. Loosen the four water pump pulley bolts.
8. Remove the drive belt.
9. Remove the water pump pulley bolts and water pump pulley.
10. Disconnect the engine coolant temperature sensor.
11. Disconnect the heater hose and clamp from the water pump.
12. Remove the water pump inlet bolts and water pump inlet.
13. Remove the water pump bolts. These bolts are different lengths. There are nine bolts and three different lengths. Mark where they go.
14. Remove water pump and water pump housing gasket.
15. Clean gasket surfaces.

Installation
1. Install the water pump and water pump-housing gasket. I put a little grease on the gasket to help hold it in place.
2. Install the water pump bolts, torque to 15 ft/lbs.
3. Install the water pump inlet and bolts, tighten bolts to 15 ft/lbs.
4. Install the heater hose and clamp to the water pump.
5. Connect the engine coolant temperature sensor.
6. Install the water pump pulley and start the water pump pulley bolts.
7. Install the drive belt.
8. Tighten the water pump pulley bolts to 12-18 ft/lbs.
9. Install the fan shroud, and fan and clutch assembly. Nice to have an extra set of hands, but I managed it by myself.
10. Install the fan shroud screws
11. Install the fan and clutch assembly using the rental tools.
12.Install the radiator coolant recovery reservoir hose to the radiator.
13. Install the upper radiator hose and clamps.
14. Refill and bleed the engine cooling system.

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
You'll need special tools to remove the fan.

You'll also want to consider replacing the water outlet riser while you're in there (to the upper radiator) because it is thin, chincey sheet metal and once I took mine off, I couldn't get it to seal again.

Good luck.

dboyw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And if you haven't finished yet, spend the few dollars for the upper hose for a dual alt truck. Goes around the belt, not through it.

I "rented" the special fan wrenches from Advanced Auto.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dieselsite has a nice billet output for your upper radiator hose that will eliminate most leak potential

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
These are the instructions I used to change the pump on my 96'. I think all 7.3 engines are about the same as far as water pumps go so this should get you started. Others may chime in with the differences if any. Not a tough job.

1. Partially drain the engine cooling system.
2. Remove the upper radiator hose clamps and upper radiator hose.
3. Disconnect the radiator coolant recovery reservoir hose at radiator.
4. Remove the fan and clutch assembly using the Fan Clutch Nut Wrench and Fan Clutch Pulley Holder. Set the fan and clutch assembly in the fan shroud. I rented my fan clutch tools from AutoZone for $40.
5. Remove the fan shroud screws. (2 ea.)
6. Remove the fan shroud, fan and clutch assembly. I lifted the shroud up some and pulled the fan and clutch assembly out first then removed the shroud.
7. Loosen the four water pump pulley bolts.
8. Remove the drive belt.
9. Remove the water pump pulley bolts and water pump pulley.
10. Disconnect the engine coolant temperature sensor.
11. Disconnect the heater hose and clamp from the water pump.
12. Remove the water pump inlet bolts and water pump inlet.
13. Remove the water pump bolts. These bolts are different lengths. There are nine bolts and three different lengths. Mark where they go.
14. Remove water pump and water pump housing gasket.
15. Clean gasket surfaces.

Installation
1. Install the water pump and water pump-housing gasket. I put a little grease on the gasket to help hold it in place.
2. Install the water pump bolts, torque to 15 ft/lbs.
3. Install the water pump inlet and bolts, tighten bolts to 15 ft/lbs.
4. Install the heater hose and clamp to the water pump.
5. Connect the engine coolant temperature sensor.
6. Install the water pump pulley and start the water pump pulley bolts.
7. Install the drive belt.
8. Tighten the water pump pulley bolts to 12-18 ft/lbs.
9. Install the fan shroud, and fan and clutch assembly. Nice to have an extra set of hands, but I managed it by myself.
10. Install the fan shroud screws
11. Install the fan and clutch assembly using the rental tools.
12.Install the radiator coolant recovery reservoir hose to the radiator.
13. Install the upper radiator hose and clamps.
14. Refill and bleed the engine cooling system.

crack beer, drink

wash hands

crack another beer, drink

Spectre

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Nice writeup.. It was exactly what I did..

I did rent the tools.. Came in very handy.. Plus side.. No more leaks or squeals from the water pump... Bad thing is after a bit there was a squealing.. Doesn't squeal when at idle, but only when on the gas.. If the belt is wet it goes away but as soon as it dries out it comes back.. Squeals real loud..

So I'm going to replace the belt today to see if that's the issue.. Kinda weird cause I did inspect the belt a couple times and it looks good..

Good idea on the hose from the dual altenator.. Unfortunetly I lost my job a couple weeks ago and can't spend any extra money I don't have to.. If I was still working I would have paid someone to change my pump.. Sucks working on a lifted truck.. I hate climbing on and off the thing. :)

Last edited:

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear that you got yours changed out. Really not that bad to do it. It helps with an extra set of hands to hold the fan assembly. I was in FLorida on Wed and my water pump decided that it wanted to stop working. Out of town with no tools what a nightmare. But got it changed out in the hotel parking lot and now back in Texas for the DI Pre Party.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14