Trouble again!

J_F250

SDD Burger Flipper
Reaction score
I got everything working on the truck correctly and now the truck acts like the batteries are dying. The batteries are new (July) Interstate Megatron pluses. So I went out to start the truck the other day and it acts like it is not going to start. When turn the key there is a fast clicking noise that lasts about a second. It eventually starts after it acts like it is not going to. I had the alternator checked at advance auto and it was putting out 13.94 at idle. I don't know what it could be. Any thoughts? Would the glow plugs or relay have anything to do with that?

Josh

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fer starters, check the Batt terminal connections, then the cable ends, then the Solinoid. Clean'm up real good. You'd be suprized what headaches a little corroasion can cause.

:dunno

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Possibly the the starter solenoid on top of the passenger side fender well.

I think they were still located there on the 2000's.

Or..........possibly a loose ground wire.

Tbar

J_F250

SDD Burger Flipper
Reaction score
Fer starters, check the Batt terminal connections, then the cable ends, then the Solinoid. Clean'm up real good. You'd be suprized what headaches a little corroasion can cause.

Well they maybe corroded a little. What, if anything, can I do to stop it?

J_F250

SDD Burger Flipper
Reaction score
Possibly the the starter solenoid on top of the passenger side fender well.

I think they were still located there on the 2000's.

Or..........possibly a loose ground wire.

Tbar

I will check thanks

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Not much. Those little pads can help some but a good twice a year (at least) "Clean'm whether they need it or not" Maintinence usually takes care
of it.

Like Tbar sez: check the solinoid.. They arent that exspencive to R&R. It IS located on the Pass side inter fender.

Next time you buy Batteries you might wana look at Dry Cells. They don't seem to have the corrosion issues. No acid vapors.

txastuff79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
actually, if you clean them thoroughly, apply some bearing grease on them. make sure to coat the post, then the terminal end. dont goop it, a thin coat works amazingly well. the absence of air to the metal stops the corrosion.

note, it has to be very well cleaned prior to the grease. have done this all my life, the army used the same procedure, etc. nice thin coat, not goopy on clean terminals and posts.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score

The pads and the grease suggestions are good ideas.

To get the acid cleaned off the post and terminals wire brush them well then pour a mixture of baking soda and water over them to clean up whats left. After the baking soda finishes doing its thing rinse with clean water and wire brush again.

Lube everything up and put it back together.

Tbar

J_F250

SDD Burger Flipper
Reaction score
It was corrosion. I cleaned them up last night to give it a shot and it starts like a champ now.

Thanks guys.
I still need to put grease on it and will do asap.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58