Question Trouble Code

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever gotten a PO500 (Speed sensor malfunction). And what symptoms would/could/should this create? I have this code along with the ever present EGR codes, mainly because I haven't done to my Delete yet. :dunno Bob

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The speed sensor is in the rear end on top of the pumpkin with a few wires going to the speedometer and other things. It tells you how fast or slow you are going.

Dave

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dave; Doesn't it do more than just tell you what speed your going? I'm wondering why it would be saying it's malfunctioning when my speedometer works just fine. I thought it may be linked to other ECU parameters (speed limiter)and ???,etc. Do I just replace the sensor because this code is showing??

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
It is linked to the what you call the ECU (PCM). It does many different things. Your choice to wait until if fails or not. It is not expensive, so I would change it if it was mine.

Dave

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever gotten a PO500 (Speed sensor malfunction). And what symptoms would/could/should this create? I have this code along with the ever present EGR codes, mainly because I haven't done to my Delete yet. :dunno Bob

Other VSS symptoms would/could be: ABS light on/off, Surging while on CC, erratic Trans shifting, OD light and in/out of OD issues.

It's a magnetic device that picks up RPM's from the Ring Gear. Over time and normal rear end wear, it gets somewhat weak and dirty from metal particles.. Can't send the PCM the info it needs/wants to know. PCM sets a P0500 code.

Cheap fix. 2 pin connector, 10mm bolt/hold down clamp.. R & R the VSS.. Done Deal. 20 minutes.

Joe

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cleanable? rear dif service needed?

I guess you could clean it.. but for the 25-30 bucks for a new one, ease of the R & R task.. If you factor in the time/miles it's taken to get Tired & Dirty ? JMO but I'd replace it.

No Dif service [required] but again, depending on time & miles.. prolly wouldn't hurt.. for piece of mind ?

Last edited:

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks ,, the rear dif service question was meant to ask if it would clear the issue ,, but for 25$ I would def try it

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks ,, the rear dif service question was meant to ask if it would clear the issue ,, but for 25$ I would def try it

;tu

Didn't catch that.. but whatever metal dust & stuff the VSS has picked up.. clean dif lube wouldn't clean off.. (?)

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58