Trouble fitting F350 in garage "solved".

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Floor to garage door is 78 inches. Truck is 83 inches. Lowering air in tires, did not create the desired clearance. I purchased four 17" steel wheels without tires for $100. Using three sheets of 3/8" by 4x8 feet plywood, and ripping the 4x8 sheets long ways, and put plywood under new tireless wheels, was able to drive truck into garage with clearance to spare for long term storage.

Other options
1. remove garage door. $200 and still not enough clearance
2. Put old worn out tires on 17" rim and deflate to zero pounds. Might not have enough clearance with garage door left on.
3. Purchase 30x40 new taller garage for $22,000

Last edited:

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maxtor said:
Floor to garage door is 78 inches. Truck is 83 inches. Lowering air in tires, did not create the desired clearance. I purchased four 17" steel wheels without tires for $100. Using three sheets of 3/8" by 4x8 feet plywood, and ripping the 4x8 sheets long ways, and put plywood under new tireless wheels, was able to drive truck into garage with clearance to spare for long term storage.

Other options
1. remove garage door. $200 and still not enough clearance
2. Put old worn out tires on 17" rim and deflate to zero pounds. Might not have enough clearance with garage door left on.

That's actually a pretty good idea. You probably won't have to worry about flat-spotting steel rims if the truck sits on them for some length of time like you would have to worry about happening with rubber tires...:thumbs :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Suprob

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Sooo A new building is out? Sounds like a good reason that I have been looking for. A few more weeks a fall and the vehicles covered in all that sap and I will have a new building by spring. SHHH keep this on the DL, here she comes. LOL

Rob

JimmyDee

God Bless America
Reaction score
I'm solving my problem with a new 3 stall garage. 8' high doors and 32' deep. Old one comes down next week.
Jim

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lowest PSD in the west...

Our truck looks awsome sitting on the 17" wheels in the garage. If we could lower the truck this much and still keep the 33" tires on the wheels, the aerodynamics would be fantastic. The differental is very close to the ground. I am hurting to much today to get under the truck and see what the clearance is.
As everyone has stated the best long term solution is to build a garage with a 8 ft door on it.
FYI I had to put it into 4wd to drive across the plywood because when in 2wd the rear wheels were slipping on the plywood. To get the truck out of the garage next April, I am going to purchase 205/40/r17 tires from Les Schwab to put on the 17 inch wheels so I do not have to mess with the plywood. Any added height necessitates removing the garage door to get the truck out. So in April I will pay the $100 to have the door removed and then put back on after the truck is out. Then I will install the stock wheels and tires and store the 23" diameter tires and wheels for future use.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg