Trouble shifting into 4WD; thoughts?

cdraayer

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I recently had the occasion to use 4WD in my truck for the first few times (in snow). I have the electronic shift on the fly as well as manually locking hubs, and each time I was traveling below the maximum speed to shift and the wheels were not spinning. Most of the time when I switch to/from 4WD electronically it works fine, but sometimes it doesn't switch (especially from 2WD to 4WD) at all. I even turned the hubs and nothing happened. Once, after getting stuck trying to drive up a slippery road while towing a trailer - in 2WD because it wouldn't shift, I had to have my friend tow me in his TOYOTA :)cussing: ); after getting up the road I shut the truck off - only to find when I restarted it that it had engaged 4WD.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there any kind of software reflash or dealer service that has been offered to solve this kind of problem?

Thanks!

Last edited:

partz

In GOD I Trust!
Reaction score
Hmmmm, I seem to remember something like this on another forum... I'll see if I can find it. -popcorn

Scot

;()
Reaction score
Miles on the truck? year? Is the trans changing but wheels not locking in? or is the trans not changing?

Last edited:

cdraayer

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Scot said:
Miles on the truck? year? Is the trans changing but wheels not locking in? or is the trans not changing?

Sorry, it's an 06 w/ 5k miles.

The transmission doesn't seem to be changing, it's as if nothing happens when I turn the switch - the 4wd light doesn't even come on...

Thanks.

Scot

;()
Reaction score
The solution doesn't get any easier than this. "Take it to the dealer" it's free. Don't try figuring something like that out yourself until the warranty is up.

Good luck

rhjj

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
If the dash lite for 4x4 doesnt come on it is an electrical problem.I had a problem with my 05 come to find out my remote starter caused the issue. The alarm would not power the 4x4 module on wait to start causing a trouble code.Once a code is stored 4x4 won't work.

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
Scot said:
The solution doesn't get any easier than this. "Take it to the dealer" it's free. Don't try figuring something like that out yourself until the warranty is up.

Good luck

I second that. B2B warranty work is a no-brainer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14