Trouble shifting into Drive

Jamieson

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hi y'all, I have a 2000 F-350 (CABT Excursion conversion, love it) and sometimes I can't really shift it into Drive. It shifts into D without problem, but it's not engaged and if I press down on the accelerator, it just revs. Sometimes I shift it into 2 or 1 and then wiggle it into D. Is this a transmission linkage issue or something worse? The transmission seems to stay in the correct gear once it finally gets into place.

Thanks!

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi y'all, I have a 2000 F-350 (CABT Excursion conversion, love it) and sometimes I can't really shift it into Drive. It shifts into D without problem, but it's not engaged and if I press down on the accelerator, it just revs. Sometimes I shift it into 2 or 1 and then wiggle it into D. Is this a transmission linkage issue or something worse? The transmission seems to stay in the correct gear once it finally gets into place.

Thanks!

Could be linkage, but to me it sounds like your tranny is slipping or even worse, toast.

Jamieson

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks Shaggy! Yikes.. it doesn't slip out of gear while driving. Perhaps I should take it out to one of the bullet-proofing guys. (I'm in Central Texas).

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Shaggy! Yikes.. it doesn't slip out of gear while driving. Perhaps I should take it out to one of the bullet-proofing guys. (I'm in Central Texas).

Yeah, I wonder if they could diagnose it without tearing apart.

Jamieson

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
That'd be great... How can I diagnose it? If it's hard to get into drive but doesn't slip out, would it still be toast?

Jamieson

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score

Jamieson

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
It got progressively worse. Since I'm aiming for absolute bulletproofing no matter what, I ordered the stage 6 ATS 4R100. Youtube reviews seem to be somewhat mixed, but ATS looks like a really professional operation with a strong focus on quality, and the parts that I can evaluate (like the new +5qt pan) look brutally tough, so I'm very excited about this. I'll have it installed by my local shop, since it should be basically plug-and-play. Pricing for this was very high, but I plan to keep this truck for a very, very long time and probably tow and go off-road. I'll report back on how it goes. Looking at some bolt-on upgrades too!

Last edited: