Help Needed Truck Advise Needed

jflaig

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello,

My name is Joe and I am new to the forum. I have been looking for a 99.5-03 Super Duty diesel for a couple of months now and finally found what I want, but am unsure of buying it. I have found a 2000 F350 crew cab diesel 4x4 short bed with the manual transmission for about $8000. I have spoken with the person selling the truck a couple of times and am going to test drive it tomorrow, but I have a couple concerns. He is the only owner of the truck and he told me that he has never replaced the injectors nor glow plugs the entire time that he has owned it, all 195K miles. He told me that the only things that he has replaced are oil filters, fuel filters, and wheel bearing. Is this something that I should be concerned about or is there something I should look at when I drive it tomorrow? Also if there is anything that anyone can recommend I should look at when going to see it please let me know. Thank you and I appreciate all of your input and advice.

Joe

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
It is quite possible that they don't need replacing at this time. I have friends who have this truck and they have not changed to Glow Plugs or Injectors. You can take the VIN to a dealer and have them run an Oasis Report on the truck. This will show all of the work that FORD has done to the truck. Good Luck on the truck.

Dave :)

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Hello,

My name is Joe and I am new to the forum. I have been looking for a 99.5-03 Super Duty diesel for a couple of months now and finally found what I want, but am unsure of buying it. I have found a 2000 F350 crew cab diesel 4x4 short bed with the manual transmission for about $8000. I have spoken with the person selling the truck a couple of times and am going to test drive it tomorrow, but I have a couple concerns. He is the only owner of the truck and he told me that he has never replaced the injectors nor glow plugs the entire time that he has owned it, all 195K miles. He told me that the only things that he has replaced are oil filters, fuel filters, and wheel bearing. Is this something that I should be concerned about or is there something I should look at when I drive it tomorrow? Also if there is anything that anyone can recommend I should look at when going to see it please let me know. Thank you and I appreciate all of your input and advice.

Joe

With that kind of miles, I'd be more worried about the turbo bearings than injectors & glow plugs.

By 195,000 miles, I'd gone thru one turbo and was well into the life expectancy of a 2nd. Mostly highway towing miles BTW.

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From my experience, I've got 311K on mine, never had new injectors (or turbo), but have replaced glow plugs and just about everything else. Any truck with miles above 100K is going to start having things that need to be replaced, and they'll range from the very cheap to the very expensive.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
$8K for an 03 is a very fair price IMHO, even if there are some repair issues staring you in the face in the next year or so you'll be OK I would think. I would say that with 7 years and 195K miles on her she needs glow plugs for sure by now. Injectors may be OK? Depending on the PO's fuel filter change sched, quality of fuel and fuel additives used you might be good for another year or two.

jflaig

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey!
Thanks everybody for all of the responses. I went and saw the truck today and there is a little rust on the doors and the rear shocks are shot and the e-brake has some problems, but I was able to talk him down to $7300. Do you think this a good deal. It rode smooth and the manual shifted like new. Please let me know what you think, any advice is useful. Thanks.
Joe

jflaig

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody! Thanks for them info. I bought the truck today and am going to pick it up early next week. I am so excited, now I am a true powerstroke owner. Thanks everybody, I will post some info about the truck once I get it.
Joe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14