Truck Died Again......

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
.........on the way into work. Well, I say it died. SES light came on and the throttle quit working. I shifted to neutral and it would rev just fine. Go back to drive and nothing. Did that 3 times. Pulled off the side of the road, shut it down, restarted and it was fine. Doesn't sound like CPS because the engine was still running. Don't think it was the TPS because it would rev in neutral.

Y'all got any ideas???

Tbar

Last edited:

CHPMustang

Reaction score
The same thing happened with our 99.5,the dealer if I recall adjusted transmission cable linkage or something related to the column shifter.

I'll hafta find the OASIS on the 99.5 that was ran recently as it'll be on there.

FordMastertech

Ford Guru
Reaction score
I would think it would have set a code with the SES light coming on. That is the first thing I would do is to have it scanned for codes. Some times shutting these PSDs down and restarting them will reset things, other wise I am at a loss on this one.
FMT

Last edited:

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Well the truck died on me again today. This time it seemed to be classic CPS systoms as it died, restarted and died.....etc.

I pulled out the 5 week old CPS that I put in last month and replaced it with its used predecessor that I still had in the glove box.(I didn't have a new one at the time)

Truck ran fine the rest of the evening.

Went to the IH house and bought a new CPS and while I was there I spoke to the service guys. Told them I have replace 3 CPS's in 146k miles and asked them why it was happening.

Sevice guys suggested the problem might not be the CPS but with the plug terminals or associated wiring. I told them that when I had had problems in the past and changed the CPS the truck ran fine . The service guys suggested that it maybe that reseting the wire harness plug on the CPS may have been the cure as it could have loosened up with vibration and heat expansion and contraction.

What do y'all think???

Tbar

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
Get some electrical contact cleaner and clean both sides of the plug. Check for any corrosion and bent pins. Use some di electric grease and make sure the connection is tight.

Scott

Swany

truck driver
Reaction score
Sell it and get a new one. I'd check out the harness, chances are small that you've had 3 bad CPS's within a short amount of time, possible but not highly probable.

Notice any smell of diesel fuel, not burned off. I had a cracked fuel filter house that gave me a little grief for sometime. Acted like the CPS issue but would eventually fire back up.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
FWIW...............this past week it died 6 times dead as a door knob like it would when the cps dies.

Tbar

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the way its dying, its GOT to be leaving a code. Would be nice to get an AutoEnginuity on it and monitor it WHILE your driving.

Pull your ICP connector (the same connector as used in the 10k mods) and make sure its clean, and the connectors are tight. My truck would die almost like a cps failure, and I almost tore into IPR before I found it was just a bad connection on the ICP.

bonestroker

stroke it if you got it
Reaction score
try and push the wire in where your fuse to in cps. 500 .00 buck latter when the truck finely died at a dealer that is what it was the wire wiggled iut just enough to make me think it was my cam or the comp. let me know what you come up with. :thumbs :dunno

Tbar said:
Well the truck died on me again today. This time it seemed to be classic CPS systoms as it died, restarted and died.....etc.

I pulled out the 5 week old CPS that I put in last month and replaced it with its used predecessor that I still had in the glove box.(I didn't have a new one at the time)

Truck ran fine the rest of the evening.

Went to the IH house and bought a new CPS and while I was there I spoke to the service guys. Told them I have replace 3 CPS's in 146k miles and asked them why it was happening.

Sevice guys suggested the problem might not be the CPS but with the plug terminals or associated wiring. I told them that when I had had problems in the past and changed the CPS the truck ran fine . The service guys suggested that it maybe that reseting the wire harness plug on the CPS may have been the cure as it could have loosened up with vibration and heat expansion and contraction.

What do y'all think???

Tbar

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Ford_Forgotton said:
With the way its dying, its GOT to be leaving a code. Would be nice to get an AutoEnginuity on it and monitor it WHILE your driving.

Pull your ICP connector (the same connector as used in the 10k mods) and make sure its clean, and the connectors are tight. My truck would die almost like a cps failure, and I almost tore into IPR before I found it was just a bad connection on the ICP.

I have not messed with that one yet. Where is the ICP connector???

Tbar

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58