truck dies, not CPS!!

drbalazo

Master
Reaction score
Before, my truck would not start back up after shutting it down and i would have to wait from 5 minutes up to 45 minutes for it to start again. Well, my problem got worse. It seems now that my truck just dies when driving and will not start back up untill the engine cools down (about 45 minutes to 1 hour). I replaced the ICP sensor because that is what the scanner pulled as a code (P1212). The thing is that when i take it to the tech, the truck wont fail at all. they need for it to fail so they can diagnose the problem. They kept it for 2 days and ran the truck up and down and never failed. This morning going to work, what a surprise, it dies on me. Its very frustrating and don't know what to do anymore. Any ideas?

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
ICP and CPS are not the same sensor
plus, you're giving conflicting information
my truck would not start back up after shutting it down and i would have to wait from 5 minutes up to 45 minutes
This morning going to work, what a surprise, it dies on me
which is it?

action4478

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before, my truck would not start back up after shutting it down and i would have to wait from 5 minutes up to 45 minutes for it to start again. Well, my problem got worse. It seems now that my truck just dies when driving and will not start back up untill the engine cools down (about 45 minutes to 1 hour). I replaced the ICP sensor because that is what the scanner pulled as a code (P1212). The thing is that when i take it to the tech, the truck wont fail at all. they need for it to fail so they can diagnose the problem. They kept it for 2 days and ran the truck up and down and never failed. This morning going to work, what a surprise, it dies on me. Its very frustrating and don't know what to do anymore. Any ideas?

Try changing (&checking the oil),,The get someone to read the ICP & IPR DC % at no start....sound like you have an HP oil leak in the system somewhere..(internal)....IPR o ring or an injector o ring or two....

drbalazo

Master
Reaction score
JLDickmon: I know the CPS and ICP are not the same. I changed them both already. 2 weeks ago, my truck would not start sometimes after shutting it down. I would wait from 5 to 45 minutes and that would fix it. NOW, it will just die while driving and will not start untill engine cools downs.

ICP has good reads and matches what it should be. IPR looks good and no oil leaks. Injectors have no leaks and did a test on them and sound good also. I am thinking its a loss of oil pressure somewhere. I am no tech but I am guessing that when the engine is hot, the oil viscosity gets thinner, thus requiring more pressure and thats where it makes it shut off. i dunno, I need some help..

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
JLDickmon: I know the CPS and ICP are not the same. I changed them both already. 2 weeks ago, my truck would not start sometimes after shutting it down. I would wait from 5 to 45 minutes and that would fix it. NOW, it will just die while driving and will not start untill engine cools downs.
OK. You didn't say that.

That makes more sense. However, the two may be completely unrelated.

Did you try the relays in the PDC? A lot of times, you can just pop them out and drop them back in and that'll be enough to overcome the crappy connection.

Running out of oil in the HPOP is a possibility on the stall, especially if the truck is chipped, but that's a long grab at a small straw at this point. And no help with the no start after hot soak. Because heat would not affect the oil level in the pump (well, it does, but not in that manner much)...

What you're looking for is most likely a heat related open in an electronic component.

Last edited:

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
From your sig........

6 pos chip

Pull the chip and drive the truck to eliminate this as a possiblity.

Tbar

drbalazo

Master
Reaction score
well its fixed now. A friend of mine briought over a diesel tech that is very good at the 6.0 and 7.3 engines and got to it. He explained to me that the P1212 is normal after you keep on cranking with no firing up. He found out that my new CPS sensor that I had just installed 2 weeks ago, was actually bad. He replaced it and that fixed the problem. The dealer sold me a bad CPS senor,lol. Thanx everyoone for you help.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
well its fixed now. A friend of mine briought over a diesel tech that is very good at the 6.0 and 7.3 engines and got to it. He explained to me that the P1212 is normal after you keep on cranking with no firing up. He found out that my new CPS sensor that I had just installed 2 weeks ago, was actually bad. He replaced it and that fixed the problem. The dealer sold me a bad CPS senor,lol. Thanx everyoone for you help.

that's what happens when you rule something out because you replaced it.

Never have any preconceived notions.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14