Truck dies when you put it in gear

BIGYELLOW

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I need some help. Have 05 f-250, it cranks up and runs fine when it is cold but when you get to the store and come back out and crank up the truck it dies when you put it into gear and go to take off. It will run and idle just fine but when you put it into gear it dies. It will do this 3-5 times before it goes. No check engine light, no other problems or symptoms. Any ideas? :thumbs

rynarnell

03 6.0 8.0lift on 38"s
Reaction score
no it wouldnt start if the neutral safety switch was bad. Just because theres no Check eng. light doesnt mean theres not a cod. Hook a scanner to it and check all the readings.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hummm could it be the torque convertor or tranny thats locked up
and killing the motor ?

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it make a clunk or bang when it goes into gear, or twist teh truck or otherwise feel like a newbie with a clutch? What happens if you shift to reverse instead of forward?

BIGYELLOW

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have tried reverse and drive and it does it in both gears. You can put it into neutral and the motor revs perfect but you put into reverse or drive and it dies. No clank no bang no nothing, just acts like you turn the ignition off. But only does it when it is hot like you go to the store to get something and you come out to go back home and that is when it does it.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gotta ask...2005....isnt it under warranty ?

I could be wrong but i thought when automatic trannys were
shifted into netural they torque converter turned maybe it doesnt...

dare i ask...any codes ?

rynarnell

03 6.0 8.0lift on 38"s
Reaction score
you know i might have to take back what i said. The shift switch(neutral safety) It might need to just be adjusted just a little. Check with the dealer on how to adjust if your not under warrenty.

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah but even if it's the switch, that only takes the starter out, not the entire engine...

BIGYELLOW

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
yes it is under warrenty and it is in the shop but I still want to know for my self that way when the dealer says nothing is wrong I can tell them bull----.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14