Help Needed truck does not want to shift when cold in the mornings.

ATVTYSON

ATVTYSON
Reaction score
I live in Central California. It is in the mid 40's to mid 50's in the morning hours. When I first start my truck and begin driving it does not want to shift gears. I will get up to 20-25 mph and it will not go any faster. RPMs continue to rise. After I drive for about a mile everything begins working fine. It also does this in the afternoon after the truck has been sitting all day without being driven.

My truck is 2005 4x4 6.0 automatic trans that is pretty much stock (has 2" leveling kit on front and BFG 305 A/T's). I run Amsoil in the engine. I am just over 10,000 on the oil change and I am changing oil, filter and fuel filters today. (I know, I need to do more frequest service. But truck does not get driven that hard.) I bought the truck brand new in 05. I think I had the trans servicesd at 30,000 as part of the regular service. I am now coming up on 59,000 miles. I plan servicing trans next week and adding a mag hytek pan.

Could my problem be the tranny needs oil change or could it be a computer program that I need to get updated. I really hate dealing with the dealership where I live so I don't want to go there unless I have to have the computer updated.:dunno Any thoughts or help on this......

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Tranny oil needs to be changed at about 60,000 miles to keep it in top operation. This MAY BE one of the effects of not changing the oil. I don't know about updates to the computer, but probably not a direct cause of your shifting, or lack of shifting.

Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58