Help Needed Truck Down Again-NO START Help please!!

95bamastroked

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Guys, this truck does not like me! 2 days ago, I left my cousins house and got about a minute down the road in the rain and it fell on its face. It lunged once, then just didn't have any power. I put it in neutral and watched the rpm's drop with no response from the throttle. It died and hasn't started since. My first thought was CPS since it just died with no warning or symptoms. I bought a new (grey) cps from the dealer and swapped it out. No start. I have checked the fuel system and the fpr screen was packed solid again! I just cleaned that bugger out not quite 3 months ago. I cleaned the screen and still no start. I have verified that the filter bowl is filling up upon cranking. ('97 only has mechanical fuel pump) I haven't tried checking for pressure by holding the schraeder valve open. Will try that when my cousin gets home from work.

I have also done research on this wonderful site and found another possibility. Please chime in and verify this for me. Because it was raining, could it possibly be the IDM since from what I have read, is located in the drivers side wheel-well and could have taken in some water if it developed a leak? This will also cause an instant die and no start scenario.

I am still a bit suspicious of the CPS since I have 2 grey ones from the dealer and have heard that they are known to go bad quick and/or be bad from the factory. I haven't found a way to be able to test them either and I have re-installed my old black one but am still getting a no start. It seems like it's not getting any fuel because it will run with starting fluid. Before anyone freaks out, I don't have the GPR or glow plugs hooked up. My GPR got fried awhile back and I haven't had the money to replace it since all of the other repairs have had to come first.

Please throw any ideas or suggestions at me if you guys have any. I am supposed to be hauling my 5'er to Iowa on the 8th of June and this isn't getting any better for me. My daughter is getting married on the 12th and I have to get this truck going this week!

Thanks for reading and for posting in advance!

Daniel

fordfury

redneck punk
Reaction score
idm

it runs on either than sounds like not getting fuel. it could be your idm when mine went out it just shut down one side so it was running on one bank. but i have heard of others just dying and not running which is the usually case and to check to see if its that you have to do an injector test which a shop with a good scanner can do. and if they dont work its probably your idm if its a wiring harness you can usually smell it. most of the time when they burn they just run bad.

95bamastroked

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well I had a chance to hook up a simple code reader and it didn't find any codes and gave a pass for codes. So I had been doing research about it and decided to check the schraeder valve to make sure it was geting fuel through the FPR and it was. Then I decided to check out the IDM since my wife, cousin and I had all been doing research about it this afternoon. I unhooked the batteries and got it pulled. Gave it a quick shake up and down and instantly heard a nice slosh of water back and forth inside!:eek: :eek:Took it apart and found about a cup of water inside and could smell burnt wire smell inside also.

So, I am looking into a new reman IDM for around $169.00 sent 2 day air. Not too bad but poor timing anyway!:dunno

Thanks for the verification and info about yours. Its always nice to have a second, or even a third opinion.

Daniel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58