Truck Driving

triplethreat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am being Medically Retired from the Marine Corps in the next 3-6 months due to an enlarged heart that does not allow me to deploy. I have been looking at civilian jobs and have come across a local company that offers shorthaul driving. This is something that I have been interested in but not sure about what I would need to do to get started or get information about a CDL class A.. The company's website says that they will hire students, i'm assuming that means they will hire straight out of school. any info anyone can give would be great. I will be relocating to MD and this company offers shorthaul home every night. thanks for any help.

http://www.dmbowman.com/employment/frederick.htm

ForumBlue

CDXX
Reaction score
Hey Trip.

Did you drive trucks for the USMC? If so all you need to do is get a CDL and show some sort of proof that you drove for the USMC for at least 2 years and you could get a job with just about any Co. Other than that most companies insurance carriers requires new hires to have at least 2 years experience. The only companies that hire straight out of school are usually the big companies that are self-insured. From my experience they like to promise drivers the world and then screw them over once they're hired. A lot of guys will put up with they're crap to get the 2 years and then quit and go somewhere else. I've had several guys quit my company because one of the big guys offered them these "great opportunities" and then in a couple months they've come back to see if they could get there job back with me.

Just my thoughts. It's very possible that the company you talking about could be one of the few big guys that stand behind there word. Also, drivers are very hard to get these days so some of the companies have been upping wages and improving benefits to entice applicants.

I hope things work out for you.
Good Luck.:sweet

triplethreat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked the webpage for DOT and with my condition i am not qualified i was also thinking about looking at Home Depot so I guess i'll have to look into that some more.

Dan

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
you need to also be able to pass a medical exam. you got to have it even you drive a rig that is under 26,000. i am not required to have a CDL, since my GVWR is less that 26,000, but i do have to have a medical card.

they are good for every 2 years. know a doctor can restrict you from obtaining a medical card if you are at risk in an over-the-road job.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
triplethreat said:
I checked the webpage for DOT and with my condition i am not qualified.
Dan
I was going to tell you that but I guess you figured it out. I have to go in and renew my card tomorrow and I am not sure that my blood pressure is down enough to pass. I would have to recommend a different line of work to anyone looking for a new career. It is a real stressful deal to be unsure if you will be qualified to work or not every two years. I have been checking my blood pressure for about a month and everyday it goes up a little as I get closer to the exam. A month ago it was well under the limit now it is way over. I would recommend that you look into a field of work with good benefits which I assume Home Depot has..

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to hijack this forum but Crumm I feel for you tonight brother. Been there and done that. I could take my BP on Sunday night and it would be fine and then on Monday in the DR. office I would just barely slip by. Had to go on getting one every year for a while, and never had high BP.
Trip, wish you all the luck in the world but after driving for 35+ years I would look at something that has 40 hours a week and weekends off.

:usa

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
WD40 said:
Trip, wish you all the luck in the world but after driving for 35+ years I would look at something that has 40 hours a week and weekends off.
Yep thats the truth. Any truck driver out there that has been at it for a while will tell you to do something else. I have only been driving for 17 years but often wish that I had did something else. I do make good money but the 80 hour work week plus another 30 off duty away from home are getting very old. I might just be down at Home Depot with you:) I just checked the pressure again and it is at 155/97, legal limit is 140/90. I have been running in the 130's/80's for a month now this:confused: I went through this last year and ended up with a one year card but I think I would rather change careers than go through this stress or having to go on medication.

SDPS

pull what?
Reaction score
Trip, you know I agree with both of these guys. I do the short haul runs and even though you are home every night the job is very stressful and has long hours! These two guys above me have it rougher than I do, but man I work55-65 hours every week, pays good but man the stress that people cause you is something that I havent ever experienced.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW Guyz'n Galz. I have 26 Fuel truck drivers. ALL must carry a valid class "A" CDL with Tank, Air Brake and Hazmat endorsements, as well as the, every 2 year Medical Cert. Since the Oklamoma/9-11 trageties.... it is near impossible for me to keep 26 guys current and legal.. MEDICALY. Along WITH that, the new TSA Background Check (90 bucks) when CDLs exspire and for any "New Hires". The Medical issues Keep us in constant motion. It's all Mandated by the NTSB/DOT/TSA and each States requirements... over the mandates.

Here in California, >ANY< medical condition areas on the DMV medical exam form, checked other than: "NO" must be accompanied by a Written Statement, from a Doctor, exsplaining >FULLY< that the Condition is under Medical control..... OR.. Yer OFF the Road.

As many have said here: The days of simply get'n a CDL and Go'in Truck'n are OVER.

I'm guna let my CDL exspire (after 40 years) (Retireing) and keep it as a NON-Commercial class "A". It just aint worth th Hassle.

There's just something wrong with haveing to "prove yerself" to a DMV employee that don't even know what a "Jake Brake" is... TOO ;) :D

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well Said

Very well said Joe. I made good money the last few years I drove a truck but there is no job security any more for a driver. One little mishap and you are fired. All of the stress will give you health problems fast. I have got to where I don't miss it like I did:roflmao :roflmao :roflmao the first year of retirement.:roflmao :roflmao I like this retirement stuff.:sweet :sweet :thumbs :thumbs

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14