Truck in shop for almost a week, vibe issue...

AlaskanSuperduty

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I took my truck (in my sig) to the local dealership to have them look at a slight vibration that occurs around 60-65mph only in Overdrive. If I downshift during the vibration, poof, it's gone, but when I let off the go pedal and it returns to overdrive, the vibe shows up again. The vibe seems to be coming from the tranny, but I could be wrong. It also gets worse when it gets colder out, especially -30 to -40F. I do have the hubs locked in, but it occurs regardless of locked or unlocked (I've got the manual hubs). Also, it isn't the new rims and tires I've got, the vibe occured before I put those on. They also did a balance check on them, and they turned out okay.

So now here's the part that's got me worried. The service advisor (whom I've known for a long time, good guy) told me the tech replaced something called the turbo pedestal, and is now installing some sort of dampener mount. :confused: It seems that there has been a problem with the diesels for this kind of vibe, and Ford doesn't have a complete fix for it, but has come up with some solutions to "lessen the problem". I don't really think I should be dealing with a vibe like this in a $50 G truck, but what can I do? Does anyone have the similar problem and better yet, a solution?

I'm going kind of nuts here, they've had my truck since Monday, now it's Friday, I'm glad my brother let me borrow his 2000 F250 Crew V10 while he's out of town.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could be the drive shafts or bearings...i for get if this truck
has a carrier bearing or not...

shifting would change the rpm of the drive shaft enough to get you
above or below the particular rpm (of the drife shaft) for it to go away.

there was a TSB on earlier trucks (03 / 04) for a droan/moan that
was linked to the turbo mounting pedestal...the droan/moan occured
around 1800 rpm (as i recall)

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I once had a vib in mine that wouldn't go away it turned out to be the slip yokes on the driveshafts partially seized. A little bit of cleaning, some good grease and everything was fine.

AlaskanSuperduty

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
there was a TSB on earlier trucks (03 / 04) for a droan/moan that
was linked to the turbo mounting pedestal...the droan/moan occured
around 1800 rpm (as i recall)

Ya nailed it. They replaced the turbo pedestal mount, now it's all better. Sucked having it in the shop for a week, though, but it was worth it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14