Truck Jerks, and Stall's

99F250

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 1999 F250 PSD 85,000, 4x4 Auto Trans. This condition only happens occationally. I will be driving along and the RMPS jump and the truck jerks. It sometimes throws up the service engine soon light but no check engine light. I had it checked for codes but nothing shows up. Shortly after it jerks and I come to a stop, the truck sometimes stalls out. But it turns back on with no problem. Then the service engine soon light shuts off until the next time this incident occurs. I thought maybe it was bad gas but it's happened several time here recently. I was told by 4 techs that 80% chance it was the cam sensor. I changed it but nothing different happend. I have drivin the truck fine for the last two week then the problem occured again today. When it happens it happens alot all at one time. I just changed the oil that made no difference either. Does anybody have any idea what the problem could be ?

99F250

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
DaveBen said:
Welcome to SDD 99F350. Could be a bad load of FUEL. Never say gas with a diesel engine.

Dave :) :)

My mistake, Fuel. I can only hope thats the problem. Thanks

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
99F250 said:
I have a 1999 F250 PSD 85,000, 4x4 Auto Trans. This condition only happens occationally. I will be driving along and the RMPS jump and the truck jerks. It sometimes throws up the service engine soon light but no check engine light. I had it checked for codes but nothing shows up. Shortly after it jerks and I come to a stop, the truck sometimes stalls out. But it turns back on with no problem. Then the service engine soon light shuts off until the next time this incident occurs. I thought maybe it was bad gas but it's happened several time here recently. I was told by 4 techs that 80% chance it was the cam sensor. I changed it but nothing different happend. I have drivin the truck fine for the last two week then the problem occured again today. When it happens it happens alot all at one time. I just changed the oil that made no difference either. Does anybody have any idea what the problem could be ?
Some things to check out:

Fuel filter - It can cause similar symptoms, but they usually don't "go away" like yours are. Check and replace anyway?

Bad fuel - About as likely as a bad fuel filter in this case. Usually, bad fuel makes it run crappy all the time, not sometimes on, sometimes off.

Water in fuel bowl - This can happen intermittently when you take a corner hard, brake, accelerate... What happens is the water level is high enough that when it sloshes around, it can get into the pickup lines at the fuel bowl and get into your injectors. However, your "Water in Fuel" light would almost surely be on at that point, so probably not likely

Under valve cover harnesses - They come loose, and cause intermittent stalling, jerking issues. They have upgraded clips to hold them together if they have come apart. THey woud also set off a code

CPS - Will do exactly what you are describing, but you have already replaced it, so I am guessign that ain't it.... :D

My money is on Under valve cover harnesses.

99F250

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hoss 350 said:

Fuel filter - It can cause similar symptoms, but they usually don't "go away" like yours are. Check and replace anyway?

Bad fuel - About as likely as a bad fuel filter in this case. Usually, bad fuel makes it run crappy all the time, not sometimes on, sometimes off.

Water in fuel bowl - This can happen intermittently when you take a corner hard, brake, accelerate... What happens is the water level is high enough that when it sloshes around, it can get into the pickup lines at the fuel bowl and get into your injectors. However, your "Water in Fuel" light would almost surely be on at that point, so probably not likely

Under valve cover harnesses - They come loose, and cause intermittent stalling, jerking issues. They have upgraded clips to hold them together if they have come apart. THey woud also set off a code

CPS - Will do exactly what you are describing, but you have already replaced it, so I am guessign that ain't it.... :D

I'll check into the valve cover harnesses next week, I'm going out of town in the morning so it will have to wait. Thanks for the advice, I'll repost my results. Any other suggestions we greatly be appriciated.

99F250

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hoss 350 said:

Clips didn't change anything, any other suggestions ? This stuff is getting olf fast. :(

bigdiesel99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
put a gage on(0-3000 psi you can get them at tractor supply, northern tool, any hydraulic shop) watch high pressure oil rail either one will work, and watch the pressure when it happens so you can issolate if it a injection problem, if it is it could be your ICP )injection control pressure sensor ot the IPR injection pressure regulator, check the wires and connection on those items also.

if you dont ahve the means of testing that you might have to take it to the stealer so they can hook up diagnostics equipment to watch it,

the other thing you can sheck is iff your system is sucking air, the only place for that is between the tank and the lift pump on the frame rail the black hose on the suction side of the pump the addapts the stainless to the pump has a reputation for cause air to be introduced in the system there are many kits slod buy different companies i think deisel innovations sells a kit to fix that for $40 but i am not exactly sure,

to check your fuel you will need a fuel hydrometer you can buy them at sever different places mine came from MAC but i think you can buy them at auto zone or similar places not sure though.

also check the pressure that the lift pump is putting out, on a stock set up it is should be at 50+/- 3 psi.

i hope this will help it is alot to check, let us know what you find.... Good luck.:sweet

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
For a while on occassion, usually in cool to cold weather, I would have a bucking/ stalling/ missing problem. I noticed that the symptoms would occcur typically a day or two after fueling up at the gas station. A few times, it would throw a SES light at the same time the bucking would occur. I don't think the "water in fuel" light functions in an early 99 F-250.

One day after several bucking eposodes, for lack of any thing else to try, I pulled off the highway and drained the fuel filter bowl. Magically the motor starting running OK after that.

A couple of years ago, I had a fuel pump go bad. I saw the obvious lack of a filter to protect the fuel pump. So I installed a FUEL FILTER ahead of my new fuel pump. The filter I installed was a WIX 33418 / Car Quest 86418 which is also a water separator. Since I installed the filter, I have not had a single instance of bucking/ stalling/ missing. Coincidence??

Last edited:

99F250

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Tail_Gunner said:
For a while on occassion, usually in cool to cold weather, I would have a bucking/ stalling/ missing problem. I noticed that the symptoms would occcur typically a day or two after fueling up at the gas station. A few times, it would throw a SES light at the same time the bucking would occur. I don't think the "water in fuel" light functions in an early 99 F-250.

One day after several bucking eposodes, for lack of any thing else to try, I pulled off the highway and drained the fuel filter bowl. Magically the motor starting running OK after that.

A couple of years ago, I had a fuel pump go bad. I saw the obvious lack of a filter to protect the fuel pump. So I installed a FUEL FILTER ahead of my new fuel pump. The filter I installed was a WIX 33418 / Car Quest 86418 which is also a water separator. Since I installed the filter, I have not had a single instance of bucking/ stalling/ missing. Coincidence??

When my truck jerks and what not, the SES light comes on also, my truck does have the fuel in water light though but it never comes on(only on start up). I'll check into the Fuel filter bowl first. Thanks !

I also just got back from AutoZone and they were able to pull some codes off my truck finally.

DTC P1249
wastegate
Control Valve
Performance

DTC P0344
CamShaft Position
Sensor A - Bank 1
CKT Intermittent

DTC P0478
Exhaust Pressure
Control Valve
Circuit Malfunction

DTC P0340
CamShaft Position
Sensor A - Bank 1
Circuit Malfunction

DTC P0470
Exhaust Pressure
Sensor
Circuit Malfunction

DTC P1211
Inj Cntrl Press
Beyond Desired
(Engine Running)

All six of these codes were typed exactly like they were printed off. Does any body have any idea of what these codes are ? I think the wastegate code is going off b/c I have it disconnected, no big deal. But then then cam sensor code is going off also and I just replaced it a couple weeks ago. Is it possible that even though the Cam Sensor was replaced that the truck would still act up b/c the codes were never erased ? I just had all the codes erased after it was scanned and it drove fine home(about 10 miles). Even then I may drive 50 miles before the problem ever happens.

Last edited:

99F250

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
bigdiesel99 said:
put a gage on(0-3000 psi you can get them at tractor supply, northern tool, any hydraulic shop) watch high pressure oil rail either one will work, and watch the pressure when it happens so you can issolate if it a injection problem, if it is it could be your ICP )injection control pressure sensor ot the IPR injection pressure regulator, check the wires and connection on those items also.

if you dont ahve the means of testing that you might have to take it to the stealer so they can hook up diagnostics equipment to watch it,

the other thing you can sheck is iff your system is sucking air, the only place for that is between the tank and the lift pump on the frame rail the black hose on the suction side of the pump the addapts the stainless to the pump has a reputation for cause air to be introduced in the system there are many kits slod buy different companies i think deisel innovations sells a kit to fix that for $40 but i am not exactly sure,

to check your fuel you will need a fuel hydrometer you can buy them at sever different places mine came from MAC but i think you can buy them at auto zone or similar places not sure though.

also check the pressure that the lift pump is putting out, on a stock set up it is should be at 50+/- 3 psi.

i hope this will help it is alot to check, let us know what you find.... Good luck.:sweet

I wanna see whats happens with these codes I pulled first. I want to get to indepth if I can avoid it. Thanks for the advice though !

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl