Help Needed Truck just died!!

airdrew99

Living for Him
Reaction score
My 2000 F-250 just died on me. I have about 1/4 tank of fuel in it. I've noticed in the last few days that it is taking just a little bit longer to start. I just checked all my glow plugs 1-2 months ago. The batteries were just checked at the same time. I have the Stancor GPR. As I was driving a few minutes ago, I noticed when I stopped it idled very rough. I made it about 1/2 mile from the house and it died completely. It turns over just fine (not slow, normal speed), but it won't fire. I've run the truck close to empty before but right now I'm not close to empty yet. Where should I look first? It has 168,900 miles. I just replaced the fuel filter maybe 500 miles ago.

dpantazis

Reaction score
standard diagnosis procedures...

1. status of CPS? tach moving when cranking? see the stickies and wiki pages.

2. oil level? status of oil changes?

3. check fuel delivery, ie fuel bowl full?

access to a scanner? no scanner?

airdrew99

Living for Him
Reaction score
I'll have to check the tach when I walk back to my truck. So I'm guessing that the tach should move as the truck turns over. If not, does this mean the CPS is bad.

Oil level is fine. I changed the oil probably 500-1000 miles ago.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll have to check the tach when I walk back to my truck. So I'm guessing that the tach should move as the truck turns over. If not, does this mean the CPS is bad.

Oil level is fine. I changed the oil probably 500-1000 miles ago.

Yes, the Tack should move as you crank it. If it doesn't, the CPS is most likley bad, or going bad.

Sometimes, a CPS can give you intermittent engine shut downs. Replaceing It would be the first thing to do.. to eliminate IT, as the cause.

Joe

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I would add that you need to carry an extra CPS in your glove compartment and a wrench to change it on the road. Many here carry at least a spare.

Dave :coffee

airdrew99

Living for Him
Reaction score
Well, I dumped 3 gallons of diesel in it, drained some of the fuel in the fuel heater/fuel filter bowl. It did seem to have some air in it. Then I cranked the truck. It sure ran rough for about 5 minutes of driving. I went down and filled it full with diesel and ran it hard for about 5-10 minutes. It seems to be doing much better.

Thinking back, I did park on a hill where my right rear tire was the lowest (in altitude and my left front was the highest. It was a pretty steep hill. I wonder if the steep hill plus being low on fuel caused me to get some air in the system.

I did purchase an extra CPS to carry as a spare. Ford replaced my CPS under recall about two years ago.

Drew

airdrew99

Living for Him
Reaction score
I have an inop fuel pump. Where is the best place/cheapest place to get one?

Drew

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14