Truck not safe to drive - Steering problems

Eric H

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello, all. New to the site. Lots of good info here!

I'm having a problem and I'm hoping you can help.
Truck: 2001 7.3L Superduty 4x4
Problem:
When steering slightly to the right, the truck jumps hard to the right. When I try to correct by turning to the left, it jumps hard to the left. It's happening at speeds between 35 and 55MPH. It may be happening at faster speeds, but once it started happening at 55 I slowed way down in order to maintain control.

Shop said the steering dampener/stabelizer was blown out. They replaced it but the problem remains. Now they think it's the power steering box. Has anyone had this problem with their truck?

Thanks in advance!

stoney126

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
ive read that it could be the steering box needs to be tightened. I have also read that the ball joints could be the problem. I have the same issue and havent figured out whats wrong. But I havent started shaking things down yet either.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I've seen steering boxes on Ford pickup break..
does the wheel sit like MEGA off center?

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
Don't forget about the wheel bearings too, these trucks have a notorious problem with wheel bearing/ hub assemblies going bad. Could be axle joints, like mentioned above, could be ball joints, could be loose tie rod ends, could be loose u-bolts. Basically, have the front end checked out by a reputable front end shop(ie alignment), and make sure everything that is common on these trucks checks out, before putting a steering box into it. imo

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I just got back from a 5 day camping trip and noticed my steering seems to have a bit of excessive play in it. I can wiggle the wheel about 2" without the truck reacting as I go down the highway.

I know the steering box is adjustable. But which way do you turn the screw to take out some slack? In or out? Any suggestions as to how many turns to try? Is it rather touchy or should it take 2 to 3 turns?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You turn the screw down about 1/4 turn or until you feel a slight resistance. Lock the nut and off you go. Seems odd that you developed that much slop over the weekend. Maybe a tie rod end?

Dave

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
You turn the screw down about 1/4 turn or until you feel a slight resistance. Lock the nut and off you go. Seems odd that you developed that much slop over the weekend. Maybe a tie rod end?

Dave

No it's not that the slop developed over one weekend. It's just that I just finally noticed it with the camper in tow, on a long trip, with some breezy cross-winds.

When you're dealing with gusty cross winds trying to blow your camper over three lanes, it makes just a little bit of steering play a lot more noticeable.

nascar_fan28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
prob notice more play when you had less weight on front end. my has lil play in it too, maybe i jack up and chk ball joints, maybe try to tighten steering box too

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14