Truck Security.............

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
My truck was broken into yesterday and my brief case and my sons birthday present were stolen.

The only damage to the truck was a very small dent in the plastic below the drivers side key hole and the spring weather cover no longer works over the key hole. I am amazed they were able to defeat the lock with such little damage.

How can I better secure my vehicle? I have heard that blinking led's are effective.

Tbar

Max Power

Reaction score
i have installed quite a few alarms in vehicles and also quite a flashing LED's only. I have never heard of any of them being broken into. I would start with a flashing LED. Why would they break into your truck that might have an alarm (Flashing LED) when they could break into the one beside it with nothing. Seems to be very effective.

The next thing I would do is disconnect the Lock rods going to the door handles. This will slow them down. They might still try but at least they won't get in. If they want in bad enough they will break a window, that's the bad part. I would take this to the next level and replace the front door handles with rear door handles. No key hole. That combined with a flashing LED will probably convince them to move onto the next truck.

The method you described is a very common method for breaking into trucks. They use it on GM's and several others as well. The reason it is so effective it one simple hole kills two birds with one stone. It unlocks the door and it also disarms the factory alarm! The factory alarm is disarmed when you unlock the door with the key in case you lose the FOB or the batteries die.

This is a good start. It depends on how far you want to go and how much money you want to spend. I'd be willing to bet that if you do the above 2 mods you will never get broken into again.

Max Power

Reaction score
A real nice place to install a flashing LED is in the little piece of plastic that holds the automatic headlamp censor. It looks factory there and is visible from the sides and the front of the truck. I can take pictures if you like.

I like hooking the flashing LED up by hooking the + lead to a constant 12v source and the negative lead to one of the ignition wires. When the ignition is on both wires will have +12v and the LED will not flash. As soon as the ignition is off the ignition wire will go to ground and the LED will flash. Very simple, effective and you never forget to turn it on!

You can get both of these wires behind the radio for simplicity. At most it should take you 10 minutes to install.

Roland_Jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jimmy Jammers can help prevent that but the lock itself is just as weak.

You can put a hose clamp around the plastic of the door lock. You will need to pull the door panel and peel back the insulating to do so.

Also, our tailgates take only seconds to swipe. I put hose clamps around the hinges.

Oboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tbar, Get with Brian Wise at Sounds Incredible in Hobbs NM. He hooked me up with an alarm. [email protected] Hes a nice guy and will do right by you.

Mark

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Tbar said:
How can I better secure my vehicle? I have heard that blinking led's are effective.

Tbar

Have you considered a hungry Rotty?:roflmao

Ok, I'll get serious here, the blinking LED is probably as effective as anything you can do. Or if you want to spend big bucks then go for a no holds barred alarm system.

ArlieEdwards

Arlie
Reaction score
TBar: I had an alarm installed on my truck when I bought it. I accidentally tried to unlock the door with a key while the alarm was activated. It set the alarm off. I got it done at a small company on Hwy 80. I think it is Performance (something). North side of the service rd. Just East of Town East. If you were looking at it from the outside, you would not want to walk in the place, but everybody I asked told me to go to him. His name is Mike (Williams I think). You will think you are in a drug house when you walk in, but he treated me great and his prices are right. It is right next door to a heavy diesel mechanic shop. You have been by it a hundred times.
If you are interested and can't find it, I can try to find his card, but you should have no problems.
Arlie

Reaction score
95_stroker said:
Have you considered a hungry Rotty?:roflmao

I like the two trolls under the rear seat with baseball bats . . . but am also considering the Trunk Monkey - :thumbs

I have the Jimmy Jammers - just have to get them installed. But I really like the flashing light in the headlight sensor deal - may just have to get that done. :sweet

Ron

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58