Truck stalled/quit running

chewie95

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well, coming home from a baseball game with the kids, in traffic, I come to a set of lights and the truck just dies. Lights stay on, radio still on, windows work, etc.
I try and restart but all it does and crank. In my haste i forget to look at the tach to see if it's moving during start up. I tried maybe three to four times to start her up, but all she did was turn over and not fire.

After those initial tries the batteries died.-mad I did notice my hazards going haywire fast and not the rhythmic regular speed.

Tomorrow i will try and see if the tach moves on start up for CPS failure and take the alternator to Advance to have it checked out. Probably going to need battery replacement, too.

Am I missing something? anything else to check? The truck never stalled before.:dunno

clem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check the #22 maxi fuse under the hood.If it is burnt you have to unplug the fuel heater then replace the fuse.It's a 30 amp. You can unplug the fuel heater from inside or the outside of the fuel bowl.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
CPS or fuel heater short as clem suggested would be the two most likely culprits.

chewie95

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I checked #22 and it was good. Since the batteries were dead, I took the alternator to get checked out and it showed a bad diode. I ended up getting a reman alt and a couple of new batteries and the truck runs again. Although I had to disconnect the alarm because it wouldn't let me start the truck with the new stuff on. Go figure.

Also, is it normal for the Volt idiot guage to show low (1/4 way up on the guage) while the glow plugs are on? and then go to normal (centered on the guage) when they shut off when running after start up? I really need to mod that so they don't drain my batteries at every start up.

Now to figure out what happened with the alarm. Thanks guys for the help/suggestions.:sweet

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
chewie95 said:
Also, is it normal for the Volt idiot guage to show low (1/4 way up on the guage) while the glow plugs are on? and then go to normal (centered on the guage) when they shut off when running after start up? I really need to mod that so they don't drain my batteries at every start up.

Perfectly normal. You can run the GPR through a switch so it isnt active in the warmer months if you dont need it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14