truck stuck at daycare

sss521

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My 04 6.0 is dead at daycare. I was turning the corner and the abs light came on all of the sudden and the radio died. The truck was running fine and I thought I blew a fuse or something and I would fix it after work. I turned off the truck and took my daughter into daycare, I came out and my truck acted like it had dead batteries. I know the batteries are good because I just put new NAPA batteries in it two months ago. Also right after I tuned off the truck the radio came back on and turned off normally when I opened the door. HELP! My first thought is the alternator has drained the batteries because it isn't working but I have not seen a battery light on at all, man I wish I had a volt gauge on my truck. Any ideas??

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
Im not sure about that one. Someone will chime in and help you out soon. Looks like you will be driving the wagon until you fix it. Looks pretty cool in your avatar. What kind of wagon is it?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
First thing would be to check ALL of the cables to and from the batteries. Next check to OUTPUT from the alternator for tightness and corrosion. Clean any that are not very clean. It takes only one cable to cause this type of problem.

Dave

sss521

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
thanks, I like my wagoon too. it is a 72 510 station wagon, i would be driving that but I have it tore aprt rebuilding the front end and making coilovers for it.

Dave: Thanks for the help I will take a look at it when I get off work. Do you think that the aftermarket alternators are fine? I priced a lifetime one at O'reilly for 181 bucks, but I know alot of poeple swear by the Motorcraft stuff.

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
Here is a sick 510 wagon! Sorry its off topic I just think that wagon is badass! Hope DaveBen helped you out!

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I'd have to say something to do with the ground cables..
might want to start by scraping the dead lead out of the terminal clamps..

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd have to say something to do with the ground cables..
might want to start by scraping the dead lead out of the terminal clamps..

Probably also need to scrape the posts as well as the clamps.

Off topic: Those old Datsuns from the late 60's and early 70's were pretty simple vehicles.

sss521

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
truck is fixed! thanks for the help

turns out the alternator was only putting out 9 volts and all the problems were from low battery power. I put a new alternator on it and charged the batteries all night, truck runs great. The alternator was easy to put on it was the belt was the pain to get on, the tensioner is in the middle of the motor next to the water pump pulley.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58